Windows Live Mail will not connect to citlink.net

When trying to get email, the server will not connect. I've tried my local provider, but they couldn't help. Microsoft doesn't support Windows Live Mail anymore and suggested using Microsoft Community. I'm using Windows 7 and was able to connect on Monday, March 27, 2017, but on Wednesday it would not connect to my internet provider's server. My internet provider tried some ideas, but nothing helped. I called Microsoft, but Windows Live isn't supported anymore. If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate them.

I use the following connections: server out = 25, server in = 110, server = maileast.citlink.net, smtp = smtp.citlink.net

[Original subject: Windows Live Mail will not connect]

Hello Mark,

Based on your description, we’d like to collect the following information to help you narrow down the issue:

• Aside from the 110 and 25 ports, are there other email ports?
  • Is it a Business email?
  • Is your Computer on a domain?
  • Is it an Exchange server?

We’ll wait for your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Mark,

Based on your description, we’d like to collect the following information to help you narrow down the issue:

• Aside from the 110 and 25 ports, are there other email ports?
  • Is it a Business email?
  • Is your Computer on a domain?
  • Is it an Exchange server?

We’ll wait for your response.

* There are two boxes that any number value can be put in, but the out going port has always been 25 and the incoming port has always been 110.

* This is a personal email address.

* My computer is the only item that uses my home router and it's not always connected, but turned off each night.

* My email comes through Frontier's internet provider and I've been connected through Frontier ever since I first started getting email. I've had three previous computers and all used Frontier. Since I joined a long time ago, the local system was called "Citizens", so that's why my email address is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. When traveling, I'll connect at some of my relative's homes and it would still work on in coming email, but my sister's internet is through her job's company and I cannot send out going email.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The recommended settings for Citlink accounts are here: Set Up Email in Other Programs. To apply them, right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

• On the Servers tab 

• Change the server name for incoming mail (POP3) to pop3.frontier.com 

• Change the server name for outgoing mail (SMTP) to smtp.frontier.com 

• Ensure that the Email username is your full Citlink email address

• Select Log on using clear text authentication

• Select My server requires authentication

• On the Advanced tab 

• Select This server requires a secure connection (SSL) for both incoming and outgoing mail.

• Ensure that the server port for outgoing mail is 465

• Ensure that the server port for incoming mail is 995

• Click Apply and OK

Remove any unsent messages from the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane), then close down Windows Live Mail and wait a few minutes while the program does its housekeeping and stores the new security settings. Then re-launch the program, compose a new test message with a unique subject and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply. You can click on an error message to select it, then use right-click to copy it and paste it into the text entry box.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This was tried by the people at Frontier. I did follow your directions and applied it again, but I still had the same result. It wouldn't connect. Here's the error message :

Unable to send or receive messages for the Citlink (mgrimm) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.frontier.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10053

I've always used out port : 25 and in port : 110. They were used with "maileast.citlink.net" and "smtp.citlink.net". Did Frontier stop using the "citlink" server title? It did work up until last Tuesday, March 28, 2017.

When using my original settings of ports out : 25 and in : 110 with "maileast.citlink.net" and "smtp.citlink.net" I get this error message :

Unable to send or receive messages for the Citlink (mgrimm) account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Server: 'maileast.citlink.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Port: 110

I will appreciate any further help and thank you for your effort so far.

Mark Grimm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've often written this to users having problems sending or receiving mail: while a mail account will often work with the right settings, it will never work with the wrong ones.

It's vital to be accurate with account settings. To use port 995 for POP3, you must enable SSL. It won't work otherwise. Please go through the instructions again, including closing down the program after making the required changes, then post any new error message in your reply.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did it again and still didn't connect. I received this error message :

Unable to send or receive messages for the Citlink (mgrimm) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.frontier.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Secure(SSL): Yes

Thank you for still trying. I've never had this problem before. Like I've said, I've always used out port : 25 and in port : 110. They were used with "maileast.citlink.net" and "smtp.citlink.net" and this has been used the same way at least since the 1990's.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to let anyone know, I'm still not able to use Windows Mail and webmail through Frontier doesn't have all of the same functionality.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mark,

The error you are getting can be associated with a synchronization issue. In other words, the connection between your account configured in Windows Live Mail and email server has been interrupted. This can also be caused by an interference of a firewall or antivirus program, as well as network issues.

To assist you further, we suggest that you re-configure your account by following Merelyn_U's troubleshooting and reply to the same concern posted last November 2, 2012 found on this thread: Can't send emails via Windows Live Mail. Receive error code 0X800CCC0F. Before removing your account, make sure that there's a backup for your files and messages.

Additionally, you can check Marie_V's answer about resolving software configuration issues in Windows Live Mail on this thread: How can I resolve software configuration issues in Windows Live Mail. By following the procedures on the articles listed above, we will be able to figure out why the issue persists, as well as the proper configuration needed on your Windows Live Mail to function smoothly.

Kindly post back with any updates pertaining to your query.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 343 Applies to: