Windows Live Mail and syncing wth Road Runner (TWC/SPECTRUM)

i had problem last week when could not open my email in LiveMail  I had to call Spectrum only way could fix was open another email account via LiveMail. They convinced me that using IMAP would be better so they gave me port  to use for outgoing and incoming.   As it so happened when did not see results at first had me start another acco- this was a duplicate of my original POP 3   I believe this could cause a problem and noticed next time i opened my email 2 days later there were no updated emails in the POP 3 (default email) 

When open Windows LIve Mail  (ver 11)

message come in  Cannot send or receive messages....A timeout occurred while communicating with the server.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Nyc.rr (margot23) account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.

Server: 'mail.twc.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): No

AND

Unable to send or receive messages for the Nyc.rr (margot23) account. Windows Live Mail couldn't log on to the email server using authenticated POP (APOP). Contact your email provider and verify that it supports authenticated POP. To change this logon setting, in the folder list, right-click on the account name, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. In the Properties dialog, click the Servers tab and then under Incoming Mail Server, select a logon option.

*WHICH ONE DO I CHOOSE??????????????? I HAD SELECTED Log on using authenticated POP (APOP)

other options are 

Log on using clear text 

Log on using secure password authentication  tried this did not work either

Server: 'mail.twc.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80004005
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I wanted to delete the iMAP  but since only getting new mail there not an option until i find a solution to getting new emails in POP3  I wanted to back up my emails in case i do delete one account i do not lose anything, 

First method to export cannot open  save it as a

Another glitch is that the POP 3 has all my storage folders  but IMAP

TWC/spectrum gave me the ports to use  outgoing 587  incoming 995 (they said do not use the default port

that i had  25 110

For IMAP the ports are Outgoing 143 (or 993) incoming 587

Tech support not very good there  even when they are responsible for screwup they say Microsoft is the culprit.  One tech support gave up and said she would connect me to email expert in both Spectrum email and Microsoft email and actully connected me tby phone to Microsoft where i got message that i could get help for a fee.  I did not cause this mess and desperate for help. 

I am a senior work part time from home and need my emails  I cannot deal with changes that mess up my computer  I do not have funds to pay  Help please  I just want  keep one account with all the folders and get new mail  the only way now is to have both accounts that are not compatible

Answer
Answer

"While an email account will often work with the right settings, it will never work with the wrong ones" - NB 2006

To apply Spectrum's recommended settings for RR accounts using POP3, right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

• On the Servers tab 

• Ensure that the server name for both incoming mail (POP3) and outgoing mail (SMTP) is mail.twc.com

• Ensure that the Email username is your full RR email address

• Select Log on using clear text authentication

• Select My server requires authentication 

• On the Advanced tab 

• Ensure that This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected for both incoming and outgoing mail.

• Ensure that the server port for outgoing mail is 587

• Ensure that the server port for incoming mail is 995

• Click Apply and OK

Remove any unsent messages from the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane), then compose a new test message with a unique subject and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply. 

In order to use IMAP for this account, as Spectrum seem to be tending towards, you would have to set up a new account. Let's get POP3 working first.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2024 Views 2,833 Applies to: