Unable to send or receive messages with mail.mediacombb.net, Server Response: -ERR LOGIN failed

Split from this thread.

I tried those suggestions, and they didn't resolve the issue.  Still can't send email.  I receive email just fine.  After all the email is entered, I then get a window that wants me to log in.  I have never had to log in before.  My user name and password is already filled in for windows live mail, and if I click "OK", it will wait several seconds, and the same window pops up again.  If I just click on the red X to close the window, I get this message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Mchsi (ozbobz-cats) (1) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR LOGIN failed
Server: 'mail.mediacombb.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I am getting very frustrated with this.  It was suggested to get an "Outlook" email, which I did.  However, it is somehow connected with my Windows live mail, and I can't send email in that program, either. 

Answer
Answer

I tried those suggestions, and they didn't resolve the issue. 

That's because they were to solve a different problem with a different mail server ...

Still can't send email.  I receive email just fine. 

The error message you quote is for receiving mail ...

Server: 'mail.mediacombb.net'
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Mediacom requires secure connections. Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

• On the Servers tab 

• Ensure that both server names are mail.mediacombb.net 

• Ensure that the Email username is your full MCHSI email address

• Select Log on using clear text authentication

• Select My server requires authentication

• On the Advanced tab 

• Ensure that This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is selected for both incoming and outgoing mail.

• Ensure that the server port for outgoing mail (SMTP) is 465

• Ensure that the server port for incoming mail (POP3) is 995

• Click Apply and OK

Remove any unsent messages from the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane), then close down Windows Live Mail and wait a few minutes while the program does its housekeeping and stores the new security settings. Then re-launch the program, compose a new test message with a unique subject and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply.

If you have two accounts for this email address showing in the folder pane, you should remove the other one to avoid conflicts. If there are any messages in its folders that you want to keep, move them either to the folders under the account you're not deleting or to user-created folders under Storage folders. Removing the account will permanently delete the account folders and all their contents.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 20, 2021 Views 2,056 Applies to: