Change my outlook email from pop to IMAP

How do i Change my outlook email from pop to IMAP without losing all my old emails and folders?

If you do this on the original computer, you must rename or move your old Windows Live Mail (WLM) folder *before* taking any action.

That folder is located at -

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

For "%username%", substitute the name of the current user.

Reinstall Windows Live Mail (WLM), using the instructions below. Make sure you install the SAME version that you had originally.

Your e-mail service can tell you what IMAP settings its server requires (or Google can).

Changing from POP3 to IMAP is not a trivial experience, it is procedurally straightforward, but can be long and tedious (exporting all your e-mails from the old WLM installation, creating a new account in Windows Live Mail, then importing all your e-mails into the new WLM account).

1. Export all your e-mails from the old WLM installation.

Before you begin:

• Create a new folder in a location of your choice. Messages must be exported to an empty folder.

To export e-mail messages from Windows Live Mail:

1. Open Windows Live Mail.

2. In the upper-left corner, open the "File" menu, click "Export email", then select "Email messages".

3. Select an export format, then click "Next".

4. Click "Browse" and browse to where you want to store the messages. Verify that the folder is empty.

5. Click "Next".

6. Select the message folders you want to export, then click "Next". You will get a confirmation that the messages were successfully exported. Click "Finish".

2. Install WLM -

Get the installation program "Windows Live Essentials":

https://archive.org/details/windowsliveessentials2011_201908

Run the installation program "Windows Live Essentials", choose the option 'Windows Live Mail', and install only the mail program.

Open the new installation of Windows Live Mail, select the option to WORK OFFLINE before proceeding. It's on the "ribbon", go to: Home > Work Offline

If you create a new account within Windows Live Mail using the IMAP  protocol, WLM will sync to your Hotmail account on the online server (will download all the 'live' folders present on the server, including all mail for the last few years):

1. Click on the "Accounts" tab in the Ribbon, then click on the "E-mail" button.

2. It'll launch the "Add new email accounts" wizard. Now provide required information such as your e-mail account address, password, display name. Then select "Manually configure server settings". Then click on "Next".

3. On the next screen, select IMAP from the "Server type" drop-down list, and enter required incoming and outgoing server addresses and port numbers for your e-mail account:

IMAP Settings (for Hotmail):

Incoming Mail -
       Server type: IMAP
       Server address: imap-mail.outlook.com (Port: 993)
       SSL required: Yes
       Authenticate using: Clear text
       Logon Username: YourName @hotmail.com  { Your details

Outgoing Mail -
       Server type: SMTP
       Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com (Port: 25 or 587)
       Requires SSL: Yes
       Requires Authentication: Yes

4. Fix the duplicate IMAP folders before going on-line: see below
   (i.e. select WLM's option to WORK OFFLINE while doing this step)

Advantages of IMAP over POP3 -

IMAP still works for Hotmail and Live accounts, but you have to make a new account (using the ‘Manually configure server settings’ option), and choose the type.

IMAP works well, although you have to re-configure the Junk mail folder, in the Live Mail settings, to get it to the right place - see below.

Fix Duplicate IMAP Folders -

If you add an e-mail account using IMAP, Windows Live Mail automatically creates the following duplicate folders:

Deleted Items
    Sent Items
    Junk E-mail

The folders "Deleted", "Junk" and "Sent" are original folders downloaded from the e-mail server. But "Sent items", "Deleted items" and "Junk E-mail" are useless duplicates created by Windows Live Mail.

The built-in feature in Windows Live Mail which creates special folders (see Step 2, below), to store e-mails on the mail server, causes the creation of these duplicates.

To remove the duplicate folders:

Select WLM's option to WORK OFFLINE (it's on the "ribbon") before doing this.

1. Open Windows Live Mail > Right-click on the e-mail account header >  Click on "Properties"

2. On the "IMAP" tab, under "Special Folders",  untick "Store special  folders on IMAP server".

3. Click "OK".

4. When asked for confirmation to refresh the folders list, click "Yes". It'll take a few moments to download and refresh the folders list.

5. Manually delete the duplicate folders: Right-click on a duplicate folder, then select "Delete".

3. Import all of your SAVED e-mails into the new WLM account.

To import e-mail messages into Windows Live Mail:

1. Open Windows Live Mail.

2. In the upper-left corner, open the "File" menu, click "Import messages".

3. Select an import format (Outlook Express 6, Windows Live Mail, or Windows Mail), then click "Next".

4. Click "Browse", then browse to where the messages to be imported are stored.

5. Click "Next".

6. You will get a confirmation that the messages were successfully imported. Click "Finish".

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have Outlook 365 with pop accounts. I am not sure your answer applies to this?

I found this when searching on the web.

https://www.hostpapa.co.uk/knowledgebase/change-account-pop-imap-outlook-2016/

This looks more like what i need. What do you think?

kind regards John

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do i Change my outlook email from pop to IMAP without losing all my old emails and folders?

In Windows Live Mail, it isn't possible to change the type of account once it's been set up. To start using IMAP instead of POP3, you would have to set up a new account. Visit the email service provider's website to find the server settings required to use IMAP.

1. Right-click on the POP3 account name in the folder pane and select Properties. On the General tab, deselect Include this account ... just to avoid conflicts.

2. Press Ctrl-Shift-T (or click on the  icon on the Accounts tab of the ribbon) to start the Add your email accounts wizard. Enter the appropriate details on the first page of the wizard, and select Manually configure server settings. Click Next.

3. On the Configure server settings page, select IMAP from the Server type dropdown, then make the appropriate entries. Unless you have seen a different instruction, enter your full email address for the Logon user name.

4. Click Next and Finish. The program will try to connect and download the account folders and their contents. This may take some time if there are a lot of folders and/or messages, and it may stall. Be patient.

5. Open each folder under the old POP3 account to see whether there are any messages there that aren't in the newly-downloaded IMAP folders. In particular, there may be messages in the Sent items and Drafts folders that you want to retain. Drag them into the appropriate folder under the new IMAP account.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Noel,

This seems a lot easier! Thanks for this info. I will give it a try!

Kind regards John

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Outlook 365 with pop accounts.  

Office Outlook is a program completely different from the one to which the forum you posted in is devoted, Windows Live Mail. It has its own forums: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook 

https://www.hostpapa.co.uk/knowledgebase/change-account-pop-imap-outlook-2016/  ... This looks more like what i need. 

Yes, that may be what's required. 

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for that! I have now posted in the correct place?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2020 Views 2,463 Applies to: