Where are my Sent emails, I am desperate please

Today is May 23.  Something happened to Windows Live Email system at  4pm.  All my emails in all subfolders moved and lumped into the Inbox, or "Quick View" box.  All subfolders were lost.  And all my sent email in the sent folder are gone, not one of them is there, except the one which I sent tonight.  Have I lost all my sent emails?  Please reply quickly, I am desperate to get them back.  Is it possible they are lost?  Because if that is the case, I am in big huge trouble.  I need them back, please.  Afterwards, I might not use Windows Live again, what an unreliable program, that loses your work.  Very disappointed and frustrated.

You posted in the Windows Live Mail forum.

Are you opening Windows Live Mail to access your email or do you open your browser?

Do you only have one email account?

Is it a Hotmail.com, live.com, msn,com. or outlook.com address?

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I am opening Windows Live Mail to access my email.  I have two email accounts within Windows Live email.  I have brought over Yahoo into Windows Live which is pretty dead, there are hardly any emails in the receive and sent folders.  I hardly use that address.

The main account from which I sent out my important email is an astound.net address.  It is a local provider. I have checked their server, my sent emails are not there.

I lost my sent folder between 4 and 5:30 pm today.  I have lost all my sent emails, not just from today, but everything that was in my sent folder from April.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right click on the astound.net address, select Properties.

Click on the Servers tab.

Is this account setup using a pop3 server?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, the incoming server is a POP3 Server.  Thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you please help me open these files I have found on my hard drive?  Could these be the missing sent emails?  I have found some files on my C drive/Users/User/App Data/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail.  There is one file such as 2014-0524-011913.  When opened there are several log files, which seem to be from the time period when I lost my sent email files around 4 pm - 5:30 pm.  I am not sure about other sent files from before, but these log files seem to be dated during the missing sent email period.  How do I bring these back into my WLM sent box, if that's what they are.  I am unable to figure out how to open to see what these files are.  Keeping fingers crossed, hoping these are the sent files I lost yesterday.  They had just disappeared from my sent folder, without any incidence.  Desperate to get them back today, please help.  Thanks much.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Tina,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that your emails are important. From the information you've provided, you might need to contact your email provider since you are using POP3 server and they are not also on your email provider's server.

If the settings are ‘should not be set to delete  email from the server’ then there should still be a copy of the email  available on the server.

You may try the steps below to recover your emails. However, we can't guarantee that they will be recovered.

In File Explorer,  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live  Mail\<Email account name>\Deleted Items

NOTE: If email is no longer available on server itself, low chance of  that mail being recovered.

For your query about the files that you've found, C drive/Users/User/App Data/Local/Microsoft/Windows Live Mail is the location for your Storage folders. 'Storage folders' Deleted Items only contains items deleted from Windows Live Mail created folders. If Windows Live Mail is functioning properly and the deleted messages are not present in the email account's ‘Deleted Items’ folder or not archived elsewhere in the program or on your hard drive, then they are most likely gone.

Again, you might need to contact your email provider for this issue. They may still have copies on their server.

Let us know if you have any clarifications, we're here to help.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you please help me open these files I have found on my hard drive? 

First make sure that you can't see these messages in Windows Live Mail. When a fault occurs, the program will try to recover from it. Any messages that it's lost status data for will be recovered and placed into a folder called Recovered items under Storage folders. When viewing your message list in Windows Live mail, press Ctrl-Y and look for the Recovered items folder. It may have several sub-folders, possibly several layers deep. Can you see a Sent items folder in there?

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Helene:

I tried to go to UserProfile\Local Settings\Application Dta\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Email Account\Deleted Items, as per your suggestion.

Like I said before, when the crash happened, all emails that were in my many created/named folders, lumped into one Inbox (on the WLM screen on the left hand side).  I can see these same emails in their respective folders at the site you mention above. 
However, apart from these folders, there are some other odd messages there, and those are the ones which I believe are my sent emails (which probably was being sent when it crashed).  I don't know how to open them.  The ones dated 5/23/14 at between 4 go 5:30 pm are the sent files I am looking for, and I believe that these are the folders, but not sure why they are as log files or jrs files, and I cant open them.

for eg.

edb(2).chk  modified 5/23/14  4:47 pm  Recovered File   8 kb.

edbres00001.jrs  modified 5/23/14  4:48 pm   JRS file  2048 kb

I strongly believe these are my sent emails which just got in the middle of the crash not sure if it ever went through and I cant find out from the client, not yet.  What kind of file is this.  Can you please help me open this?  Open with what folder?

As for your other suggestions I have followed through with all your suggestions.

I have Control Y in my WLM  but that is not even needed.  Like I said all my emails got lumped into one folder.  Then I had to refile them, so went through all folders.  None of the folders have that many emails in them, that "sent" would be lost in any one of them.  It is very unfortunate.

I would just have to ask my client to send me a copy of my sent emails, which is highly embarassing for me.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did find the recovered folders in WLM and did realize that there were very many layers.  However, these particular emails were not there in the sent folder or any other folder.  I checked them very carefully one email at a time.  They are lost forever.  I searched in every single recovered file.

One point to note which was rather disturbing to me was as follows:  I have to explain:

I had marked one folder for eg. "Baby Congrats" in which I had filed congratulations messages from 27 friends and family.  When I opened this recovered folder, the first email message read, for eg.

From: Jones  Subject: Congrats  Date: 5/23/14  To: Jones.

Well, all this is great, because I did receive an email from Jones on this particular date congratulating me.  However, when I opened this email, it did not contain the content of that congratulatory email, rather the body of the email was a very private email, which had no connection to this email.  It was a lost email, however, not one of the two I was looking for.  This one was also lost on 5/23.

At first I panicked, thinking that my private email had gone to all my 27 friends and family, but I checked with a few, and it had not.  You see how it says From Jones, To Jones.  I am not sure why the body of the email is the private message,  whereas the name of the email are receipients who should not have any connection to the private email.

I am now forever scared to use WLM, dont trust this email system at all.  I have forever lost 2 sent emails, not sure what happened to them.  Not happy with WLM, it is not reliable and can actually destroy your life by sending out emails to people for who it is not intended.  My opinion.  I got saved this time, but this mix up could happen in the future.  Never experienced anything like this with Groupwise or Outlook or any other email system.  End of this subject.  Thank you for all your help in this matter.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2023 Views 3,992 Applies to: