Windows Live Mail - Reminders & Notifications Support

I am trying to receive notifications & reminders for events added to my Windows Live Calendar.  I would appreciate any help on the following questions:

1) Does Windows Live Mail have pop-up notifications or reminders for calendar events?

2) If WLM only has reminders e-mailed to you, can I choose which e-mail address those notifications go to?  (For instance, I have multiple e-mails in my WLM application and would prefer that the notifications do not go to my Hotmail address, but my business address.)

3) I always experience lag in receiving my e-mails; e-mails will have shown up on my phone or in my webmail many minutes before my WLM.  Because of this, I am experiencing very late notifications/reminders for calendar events.

4) Currently, there are 4 calendars listed in my Windows Calendar it seems:
My calendar
US Holidays

Is there a way I can delete either 'My Calendar' or 'Calendar' and how do I know which is which? I have searched for a long time and have found no way to delete one of these, just to disable the notifications - but the events still appear double on the calendar.  (For example, when I add an event, it shows twice.)

Thanks, hope someone can help here.

Question Info

Last updated July 10, 2019 Views 1,997 Applies to:
Hi DRose22,

We apologize for the untimely reply. Let us help you on your queries.

Let me try to answer all of your questions:

1) Does Windows Live Mail have pop-up notifications or reminders for calendar events?

The new version of Windows Live Mail doesn't support pop-up notifications. Reminders are now sent only by email.

2) If WLM only has reminders e-mailed to you, can I choose which e-mail address those notifications go to?  (For instance, I have multiple e-mails in my WLM application and would prefer that the notifications do not go to my Hotmail address, but my business address.)

You can change the email address where the reminders are sent to. Just follow the steps below:

1. From your web mail Calendar page, click on the cog icon on the upper right side of the page and select Options.
2. Under Registered email addresses for calendar notifications, click on Add or remove email addresses under the current email address that's listed there. A new tab should come up with the Email address for notifications. Again, under the currently listed email, click on Use a different email address for notifications.
3. You'll be taken to the How you're notified page. You would find a link there to add a new email address.
4. When you're done, click on Save.

3) I always experience lag in receiving my e-mails; e-mails will have shown up on my phone or in my webmail many minutes before my WLM.  Because of this, I am experiencing very late notifications/reminders for calendar events.

You can change how frequently Windows Live Mail fetches emails on your account. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Open Windows Live Mail, then press Alt+F, Alt+O, then Alt+M. You should get a small window and you should be on the General tab.
2. Under Send / Receive Messages, make sure you tick Check for new messages every and indicate how frequent you want Windows Live Mail to check for emails.
3. Click on Apply, then OK.

4) Currently, there are 4 calendars listed in my Windows Calendar it seems: 
My calendar
US Holidays

Is there a way I can delete either 'My Calendar' or 'Calendar' and how do I know which is which? I have searched for a long time and have found no way to delete one of these, just to disable the notifications - but the events still appear double on the calendar.  (For example, when I add an event, it shows twice.)

My Calendar is your account's default calendar and cannot be deleted. I'm not sure if the "Calendar" entry you're seeing in your Calendar is a duplicate of your default Calendar. If you couldn't delete it from your account, you can try hiding it instead. Here are the steps:

1. From your Calendar page, click on the cog icon on the upper right side of the page.
2. Untick the Calendar you want to hide.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Rhyan O.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For users seeking a perhaps more-helpful answer to OP DRose22's 1st question above:

"...1) Does Windows Live Mail have pop-up notifications or reminders for calendar events?"

please remember that creating a scheduled task in Windows Task Scheduler can provide this kind of functionality.  There's a helpful post (cribbed from Windows 7 Tutorials) posted 19 April 2012 by Community user NeshikatLaila in the thread "How to get Windows Live Calendar reminder?" that includes step-by-step instructions and images. 

Additionally, 7Tutorials' "How to Start the Task Scheduler & Use the Basic Task Wizard" and "Advanced Users - Task Creation With Task Scheduler", or SevenForums' "How to Create a Automated Task that Runs at a Set Time in Windows 7" are quite informative; both websites have additional resources about Task Scheduler available via links @ the bottom of the above-linked articles.  Those wishing more technical information may wish to peruse the Microsoft TechNet Library's "Task Scheduler Overview" section of documents, or the Microsoft Developer Network Library's "Task Scheduler" section.

Sorry this didn't help.

In options there is no Registered email addresses for calendar notifications that I can see.

I wonder if this reply was for WLM 2011 not WLM 2012 which I am using with Windows 10,

Albie

Sorry this didn't help.

A lot has changed in three years. For a start, there is no longer any reliable synchronization between Windows Live Mail and the Outlook Calendar, as it's now known. Second, reminders by email are sent from Outlook Calendar to the email address the calendar is associated with, so there is no way of changing that.

If you explain what you're trying to achieve, we'll be able to lay out what options are available to you.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply,

Basically I want to reinstate the email notification that I used to get about event entered in my WLM 2012 Calendar which stopped a few months ago.

I have managed  to receive Hotmail emails in my btinternet email address by using   Forward . but I have noted that on very rare occasions I do receive a notification. It appears to me that it may be happening when I have used OUTLOOK to check mail from my various outlook addresses. It does appear that the calendar is syncing between WLM and OUTLOOK. Of all the email clients that I have used the only ones I have preferred have been WLM and the now defunct Outlook Express and with WLM it makes sense to use the calendar in WLM as well. I found the mail app in W10 did not suit working with multiple addresses and lacking options found in WLM.

Albie

I spoke too soon! the calendar in WLM is no longer syncing with OUTLOOK so I have cut out the calendar view from WLM. I noticed this this morning when I received a "no events today" email in spite of having established a test event.

The quandary mow is which calendar to use, the W10 app or Outlook or Windows live. in order to receive a notification on multiple devices including Windows PCs Android phone and IPad, any thoughts on that please?

Albie

Albie

Sorry this didn't help.