Lost Calendar Entires

Hi all,

Since a recent WLE update in October, I have lost all my calendar entries. How do I get them back?

Note that my contacts still seem to be there and that I generally use my Live Mail in a non-signed-in mode.

Thanks in advance,
Nic

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi NicGlenister,

Are you referring to the calendars that are created offline? If yes, I'm soory to inform you that we can no longer recover this calendar entries. You need to re-create the calendar.

If calendar entries are subscribed online, I suggest that you re-subscribed it online to be able to have a copy again.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Judith,

1) I'm not sure if the calendar I'm referring to is considered to be offline or not, so I'll describe my scenario ... I have three email accounts that I coordinate using Live Mail - personal, work and hotmail.  I use only the one overall calender, which I can conveniently access both on and offline.

2) If this scenario constitutes an offline calendar, then why did upgrading to a newer version kill my calendar without warning?  I have upgraded to newer versions before without this happening.

Thanks for your response,
Nic

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi NicGlenister,

I would like to ask if you tried resyncing your online calendars to your Windows Live Mail. If not, please try resyncing so we can isolate if this is a configuration issue and we can check if the one you are trying to recover is a calendar created offline.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Richard,

I think I have to assume that my calendar is an offline one, since I never had to be online to add to it or view it.  This, of course, was one of its main benefits to me!  Plus I have never synced or resynced a calendar in the past and don't even know how to do it.

I should also point out that the information I have lost is critical - hours worked, expenses and the like.  It never crossed my mind that calendar entries could be volatile, let alone irretrievable.  As I mentioned previously, it has survived previous upgrades, so why did this one kill all my data without warning?

Since it was an offline calendar, the data must be stored locally on my laptop.  What file(s) are used to do this?  Can I retrieve the information from backup copies of those files?

Regards,
Nic

P.S.  Can you please change the title of this thread to "... Entries", instead of "... Entires"?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Nic,

We are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

If you have configured multiple Microsoft accounts on your Windows Live Mail, lease be informed that the information you will see on your calendar will depend on what account you are signed in and provided that all calendars you have for the said account are checked.

If not, please check out the calendar via web of your email provider to see if there are missing entries in them.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Note that my contacts still seem to be there and that I generally use my Live Mail in a non-signed-in mode.

I wonder what you mean by generally. Unless you send photo emails, the only effect of signing in is to load the calendar and contacts associated with the Microsoft account you use to sign in with. If you're not signed in, you see only the default contacts list and calendar.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that upgrading from WLMail 2011 to WLMail 2012 blithely cleaned out the existing default calendar. Previous upgrades have done just the same to contacts lists, with no apology from MS. However, in that case, it would have been possible to re-establish the contacts list from a backup - assuming one had been made. There is no way to back up default calendar entries.

Can you use System Restore to revert to the state your computer was in before the upgrade 'in October'? Calendar databases are marked as system folders, so they should be included in every system restore point, and a restore point is created before the Windows Essentials upgrade is implemented.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just had the same problem - calendar entries completely disappeared with no warning. This data is important and I can't afford to lose it. Am using Windows Live Mail (WLM) 2012 with Windows 10 x64 latest builds and up to date. Updates did not create any problems and data was there a couple of hours ago. E-mails are still there. Have uninstalled and reinstalled WLM 2012 with no effect - have everything except the calendar.

The system is NOT synched to anything and has never been. The Windows a/c used are all local and there is no sign on anywhere (except this forum) relating to an MS account. I don't use any of the new Windows 10 apps - only traditional, installable applications (MS Office 2010, Adobe Photoshop Elements and the like). I wouldn't even have n MS account except to use this forum to try to get an answer.

I've done a restore of the backed up  AppData\ directories but still no calendar entries.

Where EXACTLY is the calendar data stored in the \AppData\ structure and what are the names of the relevant file(s)?

Once I know what I'm looking for, I should be able to get the data from the backups. I'm assuming here that WLM will actually still recognise the calendar data stored in the local drive and has not been partially disabled as part of a push to the still useless Win 10 Mail app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLVED

Copied the WLCalendarStore.edb file from the backup folder to replace the one in the DBStore folder and when I reopened the WLM my calendar entries were back. Wonderful!

Thanks to HeavyHemi on TenForums.com for near instant response and telling me about this file.

Note: Had to show the hidden and system protected operating system files in the C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Calendars directory to see the files and found a Backup folder in there dated prior to the info disappearing from WLM.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had to show the hidden and system protected operating system files in the C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Calendars directory to see the files ...

That's what I said this morning in response to your other post - didn't you see it?

I'm happy to come to these forums and try and help users who perhaps have less experience, but it's rather dispiriting to spend time answering questions in detail only to find that the enquirer has posted again somewhere else and abandoned his original question.

In future, it would be helpful to all concerned - and avoid confusion and duplication of effort - if you used the Ask a question option on the Participate menu, or the Ask the community link, to start your own thread about your own problem instead of tacking questions on to the end of other users' old threads. 

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope...never saw the other post, partly because I never knew about it and partly because the first I knew about was an e-mail that I just received containing your reply above. I don't have time to sit watching a forum thread but I react fairly fast when an e-mail comes through telling me something has happened on the forum thread.

Reason I didn't know about the other post is because I didn't know that it had occurred. I originally registered to enable a reply to this thread and then did reply TO THIS THREAD ONLY. Trouble is everything simply hung up when I hit the submit button and after about 10 mins I got sick of it and rebooted. Once back on I checked THIS THREAD (having no reason to look anywhere else) and saw that my post was not there so assumed it had not gone through. Started Reply again, tried to submit again, system crashed again, went to bed.

Next morning checked thread again, found nothing, started reply again, submitted again and this time it worked with the post showing up as expected in the thread for the first time. This whole process being my first experience with anything like this linked directly to Microsoft, I thought that the whole process was frustratingly normal(?) first-time-setup-blues but by this time I was getting desperate for a solution and turned to the TenForums site - problem was then solved within a couple of hours.

After your e-mail, I checked this thread and followed the link in your post to "my other post". No idea how a new thread got started but I will place a response there as well.

Apart from that, I take your point about your frustration with what happened. However please be aware that:

1. I didn't know about the other post and still don't know how an apparently new thread got created with that post.
  2. My experience with this forum was zero until I was desperate enough to use it because after some research, I thought the problem was directly related to Microsoft policies on WLM support (and I've never had a problem like that before) so I thought that the "official" Microsoft forum was the place I needed to be.
  3. Given point 2, I had no idea about the Ask a question option on the Participate menu (which I had never opened), or the Ask the community link. I (seemingly wrongly) assumed that this was like the other forums I'm involved with and once I found a relatively current thread that seemed to be in line with what I was interested in, all I had to do was "Reply".

Please accept my apologies for the frustration caused by my lack of expertise with this forum. I'll know better if I have to use it again sometime.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 195 Applies to: