photo gallery crash, EMET reporter deletes file (WARNING... DATA LOSS)

Discovered a bug in Windows 8 with Photo Gallery (desktop) and EMET 4.0 running.
Steps to reproduce:
  1. open a .jpg graphic... opens in Photo Gallery.
  2. hit the "Edit, Organize, or Share" button, top left menu bar.
  3. Program crashes and opens a "Photo Gallery has stopped working"/Close program prompt.
  4. EMET opens up a "Do you want to send more information about this issue?" prompt.
  5. When you click Yes/Send with the EMET prompt it DELETES YOUR FILE - no recycle bin.
It appears to be a problem with EMET.  I closed the Photo Gallery prompt and the program closed, file deletion did not occur until the EMET prompt was sent/closed.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2018 Views 237 Applies to:

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community forum. We would like to verify the build version of your Photo Gallery. Also, we request that you temporarily disable EMET 4.0 then try to hit the Edit, Organize or Share option in Photo Gallery and then see if the issue will persists.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Helene;

The Build is 16.4.3505.912  - Windows Photo Gallery 2012. 

I stopped EMET via the task manager.  I opened a disposable copy of a graphic in Win Photo Gallery and hit the "Edit, Organize or share" button - the program crashed with the prompt same as above... however, EMET did not engage and the file was not deleted.  So I guess there is a crash bug with Photo Gallery and a file deletion bug with EMET reporter.    ??

The EMET reporter has engaged a few times... today I opened a pdf and it engaged with the reporter prompt, I did not report and than immediately reopened the same file again and EMET did not throw up the report prompt.  I have decided not to use the EMET reportert because I don't trust it... that it will delete a file.  I also have lost confidence that EMET 4 is operating 100% at all and if I confirm that it is not operating properly I may try going back to v3.   Also, I'll keep in mind not to hit the "Edit, Organize or share" button in Photo Gallery. 

I have to say I am not having a good Windows 8 experience... with many issues, mainly having to do with software compatibility.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

For the EMET issue, please create a separate thread on the link below for further assistance:

EMET forums

For Photo Gallery, please try to repair the program by following the steps below:

For Windows 8:

1. Click the Windows button on your keyboard.

2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.

3. Search for Windows Essentials 2012 on the list and then select it.

4. Click Uninstall/Change.

5. Click Repair all Windows Essentials programs.

For Windows Vista/7:

1. Click the Start menu.

2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.

3. Search for Windows Essentials 2012 on the list and then select it.

4. Click Uninstall/Change.

5. Click Repair all Windows Essentials programs.

For Windows XP:

1. Click the Start menu.

2. Choose Run and type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.

4. Search for Windows Live Essentials on the list and then select it.

6. Click Change/Remove.

7. Click Repair, and then click Continue.

Let us know the results afterwards.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Cesar, however repairing Windows Essentials did not work.  The Photo Gallery still crashed when clicking the "Edit, Organize, or Share" button. 

I had EMET 4 turned on for this and did discover a new unwanted behavior... it will delete the file when you hit the DONT report button as well.  I guess the only way is to close the prompt window and not to choose the REPORT or DON'T REPORT buttons.  I will start this on the EMET thread as you suggested.

Until EMET 4 if patched it might be a good idea to turn off Reporting.   From the main EMET window you just need to uncheck “Early Warning”

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thanks for posting back. I would like to clarify if the issue happens only in .jpeg files. Also, since repair did not work, I suggest that you reinstall Photo Gallery. Here's how:

1. Press Windows + R, input AppWiz.cpl, and click OK.

2. Select Windows Essentials 2012, click Uninstall/Change.

3. Click Remove one or more Windows Essentials programs.

4. Tick Photo Gallery.

5. Click Uninstall.

6. Download Photo Gallery and install.

Update us any results.

Regards,

Richard

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not reinstall Photo Gallery here (not needed)... I think the problem is with EMET.  

With the previous entry, where I was asked to disable EMET and test Photo Gallery, I may not have disabled it fully via the task manager... so I got the expected crash.  I just tested with EMET running but with all the mitigation checkboxes unchecked for WLXPhotoGallery.exe, and I was able to use the "Edit, Organize, or Share" button in Photo Gallery. 

I will have to experiment with which EMET mitigation check is causing the crash when using the "Edit, Organize, or Share" button.  The default EMET installation list had all mitigation checkboxes checked for this program.  If someone happens to know the proper checkbox configuration please post.

Sorry this didn't help.

The proper EMET 4 mitigation configuration for Photo Gallery WLXPhotoGallery.exe:

As mentioned above, the default EMET 4 mitigation configuration for WLXPhotoGallery.exe was all on.  I just went through the checkboxes and found that the crash problem is if the "Caller" mitigation is checked for WLXPhotoGallery.exe in Apps Configuration.  For proper non-crash functioning of "Edit, Organize, or Share" button in Photo Gallery the "Caller" should be unchecked (at least on my system).

*Caller (Tooltip: ROP mitigation that checks if critical function was called and not returned into).

Sorry this didn't help.