move from picasa3 to Photos

Is it possible to import photos and Metadata including name tags from picasa 3 to microsoft photos?

Hello,

In your question you mention Microsoft Photos, still given that this is a discussion for Windows Photo Gallery I would address both applications, for everyone's benefit.

Luckily, Picasa 3 saves much of its metadata back to the file.  Here is an article on how Picasa stores its metadata.

The last version of Picasa can store name tags to the file using a well accepted standard called MWG Regions. MWG Regions is recognized by various photo management applications such as Adobe Elements Organizer. However, by default Picasa does not store Name tags to the file. You will need to enable this option by going to: 

Tools -> Options -> Name Tags, and checking "Store Name Tags in Photos"

Alternatively, you could use this tool to store Picasa name tags to the photos as MWG Regions.

Saving the metadata back to the file is a good option if you plan to migrate to another photo management application which can read this information. Some examples are Adobe Lightroom, Photo Supreme, ACDSee, and Digikam among others.

Windows Photo Gallery (as of Jan 2017, no longer supported by Microsoft)

Windows Photo Gallery can read the captions and keywords added in Picasa. Windows Photo Gallery uses a different standard than that of Picasa Name Tags for its People Tags. If you wish to convert the Picasa Name tags to Windows Photo Gallery tags a way I have done it is by using the aforementioned tool to add the People's names as a subject keyword. Then in Windows Photo Gallery I convert it to a People Tag. However you will need to re-label the people's face regions.

Microsoft Photos 

The short answer is no. To date, the current available version of Windows 10 Photos App does not read captions, people tags nor keywords stored in the photo metadata. It does have a face detection and recognition which will group together similar faces. However, you cannot add names to the recognized faces. I do hope that this functionality is added in a future version. You can request this functionality by using the Windows 10 Feedback tool.

Hope this helps,

- J Oliver
*The Windows 10 Feedback Hub is a good app to suggest improvements to Microsoft products.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 2,062 Applies to: