Windows Live Mail suddently not accepting my password but it works for Outlook?

Window's Live Mail (2011) on Windows 7 was working fine until two days ago (coincidentally this started just after I was hacked/scammed by people pretending to be from Microsoft - could that have anything to do with it?)  

The laptop has been completely stripped, cleaned and rebuilt since then but the problem with Window's Live Mail continues.  I re installed it, and reset the account but when I did I got a pop-up box asking me to 'Please enter the user name and password for the following server' https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0

And if I try and open Live Mail any other way (ie via messenger) it simply tells me that the user name and password are incorrect - but they are not.  However if I go into Outlook independently it works fine.  I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Live Mail several times.  I have taken Norton off in the process.  I have changed the password countless times and have reset the email account on the new Live Mail both manually and automatically.  I need to get it working but I am also concerned that I won't be able to get into my Windows's 8 laptop (currently in the UK but I am not) because you have to use your Windows Live Mail to open it.  

Please advise!

In advance thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Amanda,

Welcome to Microsoft Community Forum. I understand that you're unable to login to Windows Live Mail since your password is not being accepted. No worries, I will be assisting you on your inquiry.

It is possible that you need to use an app password to login to Windows Live Mail. Note that you need to activate the two-step verification for you to enable the app password. To set your expectation, enabling the two-step verification will make your logins more secure. To know more about this process, please refer to the link below:

App passwords and two-step verification

Let us know the results afterwards.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.  I have the two step verification on.  This issue relates to my laptop and not a phone or smaller device.  Interestingly I can set up another hotmail account in Windows Live Mail but it is my primary one which (is my windows live one) that will not work.  The password is correct but Window's Live Mail will not recognise it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also concerned that I won't be able to get into my Windows's 8 laptop (currently in the UK but I am not) because you have to use your Windows Live Mail to open it.  

Windows Live Mail does not open a Windows user account.

Where you trying to say Windows Live ID?

The name has been changed to Microsoft account.

You will have to use your old password to access the Windows user account on the laptop.

Then you will have to change to your current password.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks yes that is what I mean.  But due to seriously hacking recently I had to change all my passwords so many times that I can't remember which one I used on my Windows 8 laptop?  Is there any way around it? Or another way to reset it? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you use Windows Essentials 2012 apps like Photo Gallery, Movie Maker, and Windows Live Mail 2012, follow these instructions to sign in. (You'll need to do this for each Windows Essentials app you use.)

1. Open the app, select the Home tab, and click the Sign in icon.        

A sign-in dialog box appears, prompting you to enter your Microsoft account and password.

2. In the Email address box, enter the email address for your Microsoft account.

3. Visit your security info page online to get an app password.

4. Enter the app password in the Password box of the sign-in dialog box.

5. If you don't want to reenter an app password each time you sign in, select the Remember my ID and password check box, and then click Sign in.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you.  I am still confused though.  How can I change my windows ID password?  Or are you saying that it is different for every device?  At the moment I cannot add my primary hotmail email to Windows Live Mail (2011) because it will not recognise any of the passwords I enter?  It was fine until the hacking this week - not sure if that has anything to do with it?  Then the next issue is my concern that I won't be able to access my Windows 8 laptop because you have to open it using your Windows ID password?  I thought this was just the same as the one you use for Outlook?  I will print what you had said and try it when I get back to the UK.  Any other help/advise welcomed.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow thanks Ron that worked!!  When I get back to the UK and open my windows 8 laptop will I have the same options available to change it for that device too?  I am really grateful for your help.  Best wishes Amanda

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is a good question.

I thought of the problem of logging in to your Windows 8.1 laptop when I replied this morning.

My thought are that the Windows user account sign in cannot ask you for a password and a code so you would need to use an app password.

Your old password will work the first time you sign in.

This thread says to make your laptop a Trusted Device so only the password will let you access your computer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/always-requiring-windowsoutlookcom-account-two/5c28e27b-a5e1-404e-b447-8330d067ae7c

If you have more Windows 8.1 questions, ask on that forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ron it's Windows 8 which I intend to upgrade to 8.1 as soon as I get back and hopefully can open it. Problem is that with all these password changes I have no idea what that one was.  I am hoping there is an option to get a new app password/code.  I also intend to find a way to change it to a local password.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2023 Views 3,606 Applies to: