Windows Live Mail has received date set well into the future e.g. 01/01/24055 00:00

Hi,

I look after a small network of 20 odd Windows 7 machines that use WLM as the email client. In the last few months we've been getting the odd future dated email from certain people...but not all the time.

For example my manager emails from his Yahoo account which occasionally shows in WLM on most machines as having a received date of e.g.

01/01/24055 00:00

01/01/18709 00:00

I also get the odd incoming email from another BT account doing the same but, again, intermittently. If I look at the headers of these problematic emails I do not see these dates contained within. They all end in 00:00 though.

I can't work out what is responsible for this e.g.

- the sender's machine (date/time zone etc is fine)

- the receiving email server (received date and headers look fine when looking at webmail before downloading by a client machine)

- the receiving machines where, again, everything looks fine.

If I add the 'sent' column in WLM then that reads correctly.

Not sure how to troubleshoot further especially as headers look fine. One might assume it is all instances of the WLM client on all the machines that is at fault but that seems a bit far fetched. A typical header's dates look like this:

Received: from *****mail.ir2.yahoo.com by *****.mail.ir2.yahoo.com; Mon, 06 Mar 2017 13:02:47 +0000; 1488805367.191
Received: from [200.81.98.56] by *****mail.ir2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Mar 2017 13:02:47 -0000
Received: from [200.81.98.56] by *****mail.ir2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Mar 2017 13:02:47 -0000
Received: from [100.0.0.1] by *****mail.ir2.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 06 Mar 2017 13:02:47 -0000
Received: from *****mail.ir2.yahoo.com by *****.mail.ir2.yahoo.com; Mon, 06 Mar 2017 13:02:47 +0000; 1488805367.191
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2017 13:02:46 +0000 (UTC)

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

The WLM receive date on this one is showing:

01/01/24055 00:00

What should I do next?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

The Windows Live Mail doesn't have a time settings. It basically uses the system time zone to adjust the timestamps on mail messages to local time. If the time is wrong on messages as you read them, right-click on the clock in the system tray, select Adjust date/time and click Change time zone. Make sure the clock is  still showing the correct time after doing so.

Update use with the results.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, no that isn't the problem. The time zone is correct on any of the machines that recieve these emails i.e. any of the 20 in the domain.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a problem I've not come across before. I can only make a few comments:

The WLM receive date

You will see two dates in the Windows Live Mail interface: Date and SentSent is the one in the Date: header line, applied by the mail submission server. Date is, I think, the one on the latest (highest) Received: header line. The date when the message is actually received by Windows Live Mail might be much later than these, but it will be recorded as the Date Created of the .eml file it is saved as. The Date Modified of this file will change each time something happens to it. Here are the dates for a message in my inbox when viewed in the Windows 10 File Explorer:

(I had to go back a long way to find a message with an appreciable difference between Date sent and Date received)

So, the date seen in two-line view (View tab > Message list), or in the Date column in one-line view, is the first in the message headers. The syntax of a Received header is clearly laid down in RFC821; it consists at least of a from-host, a by-host, a semi-colon and a date-time group. Any optional information should be given before the semi-colon. This means that the number* at the end of the highest Received line in your example headers is non-standard.  

It looks like Yahoo is misbehaving and as if Windows Live Mail is trying (and failing) to interpret that number as a date in accepted RFC2822 format.

Can you establish that it's only messages with something like ;1488805367.191 at the end of the highest Received header that demonstrate this weird behaviour?

* 1488805367.191 is the UNIX timestamp representing Monday 6 March 2017 13:02:47 +0000. It's actually the number of seconds since 1 January 1970. See here: Date format converter

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, good spot and interesting.

Yes, the anomalous 'received' dated emails do have this semi colon/number suffix whereas all others do not. So far it has only come from two Yahoo accounts (but not all) and a BT account. I wonder where it is getting the UNIX timestamp suffix from e.g. at the originating Yahoo/BT server or our host server?

Dan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Each Received: header is prepended to the message by the 'received by' host named in it, so that's where it's coming from. Since this is the latest host, it is the POP3 or IMAP server hosting the receiving account. Send your Email Service Provider a copy of the headers and ask what's going on.
Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks again. Interesting. The last receiving account is our web hosts (and our dedicated server) however it is not consistent -sometimes I see the Unix timestamp and ensuing bad date in WLM but then others from the same Yahoo account on the same day to the same host account are fine. I'll check with the host although I doubt they'll be too interested!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually scrub what I last wrote, it is only Yahoo servers that are being referenced in any of the 'received' headers so the fault must be with them.....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2024 Views 1,411 Applies to: