Windows Live Mail 2011 problem

Our OS is Windows 10 and we've had no problems with Windows Live Mail (2011) until now.  On the morning of Jan. 2nd something occurred that moved all of our Storage Folders into a new Recovered Items sub-folder.  Specifically, under Storage folders it has all of these sub-folders:

>Recovered Items  >01-02-2016 16-12-42   >Storage Folders (1)   >Recovered items   >01-02-2016 823   >Storage Folders   >Imported Folder   >Storage folder   >finally some (not all) of our previously created storage folders

Now dozens of the storage folders we've created over several years are missing, along with the hundreds of emails in them.  Those that still exist have the proper email titles in them, but when you click on one email to read it, then others, the same content is in the body of each email.

Our service provider (Time Warner Cable) suggested I call Microsoft.  MS couldn't talk to me about this since Windows Live Mail is no longer supported.  They told me to use their online chat support, but they also said they couldn't help.  I looked at some "community" emails about WLM and took one suggestion and downloaded Windows Live Mail 2012, then ran an update to it, but nothing has changed.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem or, most importantly, can all of these lost emails be recovered?  Thank you in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows Live Mail.

• Is that a Microsoft account?
  • What type of account have you configured in Windows Live mail 2012? Is it POP/IMAP, Outlook.com?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to Remove your account and reconfigure it, with IMAP if that is not an Outlook acccount and check.

Please try the steps provided in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/mail-add-email-account-faq

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply, Syed.  I'll try to answer your questions.  Our ISP is Time Warner Cable and the email is a road runner account (@oh.rr.com).  Incoming mail is through a POP3 server; outgoing is STMP.

Another thing I thought of is adding accounts to Window Mail in Windows 10.  I'm hesitant to do something like this, however, before knowing if we can first recover all of the email folders we've lost.

Does this help clarify our situation for you?

Andy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andy,

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

When setting up an e‑mail account in Windows Mail, you'll be asked to select the type of e‑mail server your account uses. Windows Mail supports the following e‑mail server types.

Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) servers hold incoming e‑mail messages until you check your e‑mail, at which point they're transferred to your computer. POP3 is the most common account type for personal e‑mail. Messages are typically deleted from the server when you check your e‑mail.

I suggest you to Remove your account and reconfigure it and check.

Please try the steps provided in the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/mail-add-email-account-faq

Additional Information on POP3, SMTP, and other email server types.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/POP3-SMTP-and-other-e-mail-server-types

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 1,182 Applies to: