Windows Live Display Problems

I installed the Windows April 2018 update for Windows 10 yesterday. Today, I opened Windows Live Mail to find that the graphics have mutated in a way I can only describe as "weird". Part of the text from the left hand side, e.g. the email header, the contacts list etc, is reflected backwards and flipped 90degrees, appearing along the bottom of the screen above the task bar. Other programs such as Excel, Word, Photoshop, Edge and Mozilla seem to be functioning ok. The problem seems isolated to Windows Live Mail. I can't attach an image of this as it shows too much personal information but below is a snip of how the contacts window looks now. It's the same if I open a new folder in Windows live too. 

I'd be grateful for some explanation or help how to fix it!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

That is extraordinary! I've not seen anything like it before. It looks like a Windows display problem, but then I would expect it to affect more than just one program. The only suggestion I can make before sending you off to the Windows experts is to repair your installation of Windows Live Mail. A repair should check that all the program files are present and correct and properly registered where necessary. To do this, close all running programs, then press Windows key + R, type wlarp and press Enter. You may have to give UAC permission before continuing.

In the window that opens, select Repair all Windows Essentials programs. When it's finished, reboot the computer, launch Windows Live Mail and test.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've tried what you suggested but afraid to say it failed. I turned off the Firewall and tried again but this (below) is what I got. I didn't try to "get help"!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem with Windows Live Mail and what fixed those crazy looking windows was changing (downgrading to original) graphics driver. I have Dell Optiplex 755 with Windows 10 and manually installed drivers from DELL website (Vista64 driver for Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100). Probably it's not smart to use old and not supported drivers but it worked for me. You are doing this on your own risk and I wouldn't advice it if you are not sure what you are doing:P or how to fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with one of my computers, after I upgraded to the latest Windows 10 update.  The computer is using an Analog Graphics, while another computer of mine uses DVI with no problems on the upgrade.  I tried the wlarp fix and also uninstalling and reinstalling Live Mail, with the same results it didn't fix anything.  Any more suggestions, I would appreciate it.  Thanks ALC

5/25/2018 - Well I fixed the problem, I got a hint when an other said they rolled back a Driver.  Like I said one of my computers was working fine after the Windows 10 upgrade.  The computer that failed had an Analog connection, so I put in a Radeon Graphics Card with a DVI connection.  Started up the computer and it worked great, problem gone.  So you people that are having problems probably have Analog connections, and you need to change it to the DVI (Digital Video Interface.)  If you are using the DVI then upgrade the Driver, and/or the Video Settings.  ALC 

Sorry this didn't help.

I installed the Windows April 2018 update for Windows 10 yesterday. Today, I opened Windows Live Mail to find that the graphics have mutated in a way I can only describe as "weird". Part of the text from the left hand side, e.g. the email header, the contacts list etc, is reflected backwards and flipped 90degrees, appearing along the bottom of the screen above the task bar. Other programs such as Excel, Word, Photoshop, Edge and Mozilla seem to be functioning ok. The problem seems isolated to Windows Live Mail. I can't attach an image of this as it shows too much personal information but below is a snip of how the contacts window looks now. It's the same if I open a new folder in Windows live too. 

I'd be grateful for some explanation or help how to fix it!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same question.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry that it didn't work. Please run wlarp.exe again, and this time select the Uninstall option to remove Messenger. I don't know whether this is what is preventing the repair from completing, but since Messenger hasn't worked since 2013, there's no point having it. Once it's gone and after restarting your computer, run the Repair … option again.

From other replies in this thread, it seems that the problem you're reporting arises from the display adapter. What graphics card do you have installed? Can you locate an updated driver for it? Or even an older one, if a newer one has recently been installed, e.g. by Windows Update?

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry that it didn't work too but I'm very grateful for your continued interest.
I've followed your latest instructions, removed Messenger and run the repair again but I got the same error message. I still have the dodgy graphics but only affecting Windows Live. Everything else is working as well as you'd expect for an eight year old pc.
My graphics card is Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.0)
The driver is the "best available" and I don't have the option to roll back to a previous one.

Any further ideas?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you have any comment to make on the issue with Windows Live? I'd be very interested to hear why you've copied the post...I need all the help I can get!

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you know when or why the problem started? Was it after the April 2018 update?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 11, 2020 Views 2,361 Applies to: