Unable to send or receive with embarqmail.com, error 0x800CCC92, server error 0x800CCC90

I have windows live mail.  One of my e-mail accounts is with embarqmail.com ( I have 2 accounts with embarqmail.com ) and I have been getting a lot of undelivered mail that I have not sent. here is a copy of the error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Glen's Mail account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR Auth-Status: Invalid login or password
Server: 'pop.embarqmail.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Re entering the username and password does not work.  I have other accounts at Embarqmail.com  and Yahoo.com that are not affected. They work fine.

I am locked out of the account and everytine I have Centurylink to reset the account, it only works for a few hrs before they lock it again.  My question, is there any way to fix this or stop someone from sending mail in my account name.

[Original title: Undelivered mail errors]

|

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1. Which is the email client that you use to access your emails? Is it outlook/live mail? Or do you access email via your Web Browser?

2. If you use email client, what type of email account? (i.e. POP, IMAP, Exchange or other...)

I suggest you to double check both the password and the user ID (username) you had supplied when the email account was set up. Please understand that in order to access your email account successfully, the login information has to be correct.

Here are the steps you need to follow.

1. Start the Windows Live Mail email client.

2. Click "Tools" from the top menu and choose "Accounts".

3. Don't see "Tools" at the top? That's because you have the Windows Live Mail toolbar hidden. Refer that link to activate / unhide it.

4. A pop up will be displayed showing you all the email accounts in Windows Live Mail. Select the one that's giving you the error and then click the "Properties" button.

5. Another pop up window shows all the settings associated with this account.

6. Under the "Servers" tab double check the "E-mail username" and "Password". One of them would definitely be incorrect which is resulting in the Windows Live Mail error ID 0x800CCC90.

7. To avoid having to enter the username and password each time, check the box in front of "Remember password".
  8. Once you make appropriate changes, click the "Apply" button followed by "OK". Close the other pop-up window.   

Hope it helps.

Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anil,

Thank you for responding.  I use Windows live mail.  Pop3 incoming mail and smpt outgoing mail. I know everything is setup up correctly in the mail account under the properties tab.  My problem is that someone or something is sending out many e-mail using my account.  I don't think I have a virus or malware problem.  It doesn't make any difference if my computer is on or off.  I think Hackers are using my return address and ID to send out thousands of e mail garbage from their computers to make it look like it is coming from me.  Therefore, I get the response from Embarqmail.com (my server) that these messages can't be delivered.  I receive as many as 100 or more each day. Therefore, my server freezes my account. 

Another security measure I have taken is under the "Options" tab, "Safety Options", and "International tab".  I have stopped all incoming mail from other countries. I know this will not help me now, but it may in the future.

I talk with my server on the telephone and after jumping through a lot of hoops and sometimes 1.5 hrs later they reset to un freeze my account.  Then, sometimes within 6 to 8 hrs they freeze it again. 

My question is this, "is there any way to fix this or stop someone from sending mail in my account name." What options are available to me?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You'd probably have more luck using CenturyLink's recommended settings:

Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

• On the Servers tab 

• Change the incoming (POP3) server name to pop.centurylink.net

• Change the outgoing (SMTP) server name to mail.centurylink.net

• Ensure that the Email username is your full email address

• Select Log on using clear text authentication

• Select My server requires authentication

• On the Advanced tab 

• Select This server requires a secure connection (SSL) for both incoming and outgoing mail.

• Change the server port for outgoing mail to 587

• Change the server port for incoming mail to 995

• Click Apply and OK

Remove any unsent messages from the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane), then close down Windows Live Mail and wait a few minutes while the program does its housekeeping and stores the new security settings. Then re-launch the program, compose a new test message with a unique subject and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply.

Unless the delivery status notifications you're receiving refer to messages in your Sent items folder, they're probably not coming from your computer, but in all likelihood from someone else's computer that's infected with a virus. Your email address has been harvested from somewhere and is being used to send spam. It will stop eventually. This is assuming, of course, that you've done a thorough virus scan of your computer using your own anti-virus and a couple of reputable online scanners.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2021 Views 1,648 Applies to: