Unable to receive optus.com mail with pop3.live.com

I have been unable to use live mail for the past few week have made several changes to the account settings. Initially I couldn't send emails and was only receiving them. After speaking with Optus was unable to send and received and making some more changes was able to send but not receive emails. So currently I am unable to received emails .

Unable to send or receive messages for the Optusnet .com account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop3.live.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Server was mail.optusnet.com.au as the outgoing server but either way still not working.

[Original title: live mail issue]

Answer
Answer

If your email account is with Optus, then you will only be able to collect your mail from the Optus server (unless you've set up forwarding somewhere along the way). Analogy: if you have PO Box no. 387 at the High Street post office, you won't find your mail in PO Box no. 387 at the Broadway post office and your key won't even fit. High Street = mail.optusnet.com.au, Broadway = pop3.live.com.

You will probably only be able to send mail using the Optus servers while you're connected to the Internet via Optus. If you connect via some other ISP, e.g. at work, then you'll have to use a different server for sending messages.

I'm assuming that you can access your account in webmail with the username and password that you're using in Windows Live Mail.

Right-click on the account name in the folder pane and select Properties.

• On the Servers tab, enter mail.optusnet.com.au for both incoming and outgoing servers.
    • Ensure that your username is the part of your Optus email address before the '@' symbol
    • Select Log on using clear text authentication
    • Ensure that My server requires authentication is not selected.
  • On the Advanced tab,
    • Check that the server port for outgoing mail is 25 and for incoming mail is 110
    • Ensure that This server requires a secure connection (SSL) is not selected

Make sure there are no unsent messages in the outbox (below the account folders in the folder pane), then compose a new test message with a unique subject (e.g. Test 1) and send it to yourself. Post any new error message in your reply.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 24, 2023 Views 822 Applies to: