Missing email addresses in my Contacts Groups'Catagories' list

My WLM 'overall' Contacts list is complete but many addresses that were in special Group sub-lists have recently been deleted.  Example: one of my Groups had 30 addresses earlier this month but is now down to 11. 

I have 9 Group' sub-lists and all have been depopulated to differing extents.

There are no common addresses involved in this problem

You might two different contact list in Windows Live Mail. When you're not signed in with a Microsoft Account, the account button reads Sign in and the contacts list you see is the "default" list. ( This is the right-most button on the Home tab of the ribbon) When you are signed in with a Microsoft Account, the account button reads something other than Sign in and the contacts list you see is the one that belongs to the account you're signed in with. The list synchronizes with the one at contacts.live.com. Use the button to change your signed-in state and hence the contacts list you see.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your informative advice.  As you suggested I found that I do indeed have two different lists - one when I'm signed in to Microsoft and one when not. 

But the one I get when I'm not signed in is very old. I think it must have been created 4 years ago when I first installed my current computer and copied it from my old computer's Address Book at the time.  Since then Windows Live Mail always automatically logs into my Microsoft account every time I start it, so I've not seen this list in years!

So it means I still don't know why my Group lists have suddenly been depopulated... 

I should also reiterate that my 'full' Contacts list is as it should be - all names are there.  It is only the individual Group lists that have been depopulated, seemingly in a random fashion. 

Sorry this didn't help.

You are very much welcome, just to further isolate the cause of this issue, can you check if your contacts are being displayed on this link?

Sorry this didn't help.

... many addresses that were in special Group sub-lists have recently been deleted.

Sadly, this is a side-effect of the upgrade from Outlook.com to Outlook Mail. The synchronization of contact data between Windows Live Mail and Outlook People still works, but categories don't work properly. If you don't need the synchronization, your best bet may be to stop signing in in Windows Live Mail and use the default contacts list instead. Transfer the current account contacts to the default list:

1.  Switch to the contacts window by clicking the address book icon at the foot of the folder pane or pressing Ctrl-3.

2.  Click the account button and ensure that you're signed in with the Microsoft Account that holds the contacts list you want to transfer.

3. Click Export and select Business card (.VCF).  Choose an empty folder or make a new one.
    The entire contacts will be exported, with each having its own .vcf file.

4. Click the account button and Sign out of Windows Live Mail. The default contacts list will load.

5. Click Import and again select Business card (.VCF).  Navigate to the folder you used at step 3.

6. Select the contacts you want to import into the default list. The ones you select will be imported regardless of whether the same contact is already there in the list, so you could end up with duplicates unless you select with care at this stage.

7. Reconstruct the contact categories.

Noel Burgess | Certified Pedant | Claims to know a bit about Windows Live Mail

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Although I don't know a thing about Outlook.com or Outlook People - and don't use Outlook Mail your explanation sounds like it may be my problem. 

I say this because I have previously noticed that my WLM Contacts List contains contacts from my Skype Contact list - and I never knew they got there!  Your explanation of the 'features' that come with using a Microsoft Account provide the answer!  So thank you for that!

However, being a coward and not one to kick a sleeping dog, I think I'll 'wait and see' before I start messing with my contacts list!  It includes all of my wife's and my contacts and I've spent a lot of time editing and sorting it so that we both can find what we want easily.  In the meantime I'll file away your solution to use in the event of more such incidents!

My thanks for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2020 Views 387 Applies to: