Imap has 4 sent folders.

I have Windows 8 and use Windows Live 2012 and have it set up with IMAP.  After setting up the account, I was presented with four Sent Folders, three Deleted Folders and three Junk folders. 

Deleted Folders are named Deleted, Deleted Messages and Deleted Items.  Sent Folders are named Sent, Sent Items, Sent Messages and SentMail (no space between words).  Junk Folders are named Junk, Junk E-mail and Junk Mail. 

Deleted, Sent and Junk mail are not duplicated and sent to all folders.  They are sent to one of the other. 

When I want to find a sent or deleted email, it is a nightmare.  The Sent Items/messages/sentmail folders tells date/subject/from (me, of course) but not the receipient which makes it nearly impossible to search for a sent email.   

I have an iphone and the same folders are also on my phone.  Another thing I find strange is that I have a folder in my Windows Live that is named Notes.  I did  not set up this folder, it just appeared when I created the IMAP account.   The Notes in this folder are the exact same as the notes I created in my iPhone (which has nothing to do with email) as reminders to myself.  I don't have a problem with them being in my Windows Live but wonder why and how this folder was put there.  It all is just so strange.

Thank you for any help you may be able to give to me.  (I put this post under Sending and Receiving Email because there was no other selection that described my question.)

I have the same problem but not as bad as you do. I have Windows 7 and use Windows Live 2012 and have it set up with IMAP. When I send e-mail it saves it in a folder called "Sent Items". On the left side I have Charter (thetaz00) with folders called Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Sentmail (no space between words), Junk E-mail, Junk Mail, Deleted Items and Trash. Right below that I have Outbox with no folders. Below that I have Storage folders with folders Drafts, Sent items and Deleted items. Don't know why they would have two different sent folders and two different junk folders with different names. To me if I'm sending mail it should go in a folder called Sent Mail. 

I just keep playing around and finally figured out how to get sent mail to go to the folder I want it to go in which is Sent Mail. I'll try and do my best to talk you through it. I have Windows 7 but it is still Windows Live Mail 2012. Of course go to Windows Live Mail. Then under home to the left side you should see your carrier and your default account. Mine says Charter and (thetaz00). Right click that and go to the popup at the bottom and click properties. You will get another popup with General, Servers, Security, Advanced and IMAP. Click on IMAP and you should see Folders and Special Folders. Under Special Folders you will see Store special folders on IMAP server. Under mine I see  

Sent Items path:           Sent Items

Drafts path:                 Drafts

Deleted Items path:     Deleted Items

Junk path:                   Junk E-mail

Next to Sent Items path: it says Sent Items. I just changed Sent Items to Sent Mail (with a space). I clicked apply and OK. You will get another popup that says "You have made some changes that may affect your list of folders. Would you like to refresh your folder list? Click Yes. I then created a new e-mail and sent it to myself. Under subject I just put Test and in the header Test again. I then hit send. In a few seconds I received the e-mail in my Inbox. Now this took a little longer about a minute but I checked my Sent Mail folder and a copy of the E-mail was in there and not in my Sent Items folder. Under my IMAP properties I only have these 4 folders showing with the new location Sent Mail which I changed from Sent Items.

Sent Items path:          Sent Mail

Drafts path:                Drafts

Deleted Items path:    Deleted Items

Junk path:                 Junk E-mail

and where the information should go. You can go back to the left side and delete and folders you don't want especially the duplicate folders. The only ones you cannot delete are the ones you have assigned under your IMAP properties. Two other folders you cannot delete are your your Inbox folder or your Trash folder. I just deleted the extra Sent folder and the extra Junk folder. Now it looks clean with only six folders that you only need.

Inbox

Drafts

Sent Mail

Junk E-mail

Deleted Items

Trash

I hope I didn't make it to confusing for you. Good luck in cleaning up all those extra unneeded folders. If you run into any problems just reply back and I'll see if I can help you. GOD BLESS AND HAVE A NICE DAY.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 1,172 Applies to: