Cannot receive or send email with TWC POP3 account, account is locked

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10.  I have been using Windows Live Mail 2011 for years with no problems.  Now all of a sudden whenever I try to get email, a pop up asking for my user name and password comes up and when I x out of it because my name and password are already saved there, a notice that I can't receive or send email because of incorrect password comes up.  It says account is locked by another session or for maintenance.  Try again.  I've called my web mail provider (time warner cable) and the problem is not with their server.  My settings are on POP3 server.  Do I need to now be on IMAP for Windows 10?  It doesn't give me the option to click on anything but POP.  Not sure what to do and very frustrating to not be able to get email on my windows live program.  Can someone please help?  Thank you. 

[Original subject: Window Live Mail]

We really need to see the entire error message verbatim in order to be able to help properly. However, if it looks like this:

Unable to send or receive messages ...  An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again.
Server: 'mail.twc.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

… it's most likely that you're accessing this same mailbox from another device, like a phone or tablet. There can only be one connection to a POP3 mailbox at once. If you are accessing the same account from a mobile device, and that device is using push mail, then it will monopolize the connection and not allow any other client - e.g. Windows Live Mail - to connect to the mailbox. Try disabling the account on your phone for a while to see if the problem goes away (this might take a day or two). If it does, reconfigure the account not to use push mail, but rather POP3 at a different interval from whatever Windows Live Mail is set up for.

You can't change the type of account (POP3 or IMAP) once it's set up in Windows Live Mail. If you'd like to try Spectrum IMAP, you'll have to set up a new account from scratch using the recommended settings. Once you've done so, you can drag any messages you want to keep (e.g. sent items) from the POP3 account's folders to the corresponding ones under the IMAP account. Once there's nothing left that's important in the POP3 account's folders, you can right-click on the account name and select Remove account.

Noel Burgess MVP (Ret'd)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 23, 2024 Views 737 Applies to: