Cannot install Windows Essentials 2012 Error: 0x80070643

I am so frustrated with MS Windows Essential 2012 Product. I tried so many time and Google numeric websites for solutions.

I keeps getting error message:

It looks like another program is preventing the installed from working

Error: 0x80070643

Source: soxe.definitions

I tried to uninstall all security software, turn on Window Firewall, clean directory....

This is a new PC and first time I install Essential 2012. 

The OS is Windows 8.1 Pro.

Please help.

Question Info

Last updated February 23, 2020 Views 1,900 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Eric,

Its unfortunate to know that your still having the same issue.

I suggest you to install the latest Windows Update Agent from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104?wa=wsignin1.0

After updating the Windows Update Agent run the Fix it that automatically repair issues that block program installation or removal because of corrupted registry keys, refer to this article.

http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Keep us updated about the status of the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

same issue after installing latest Window Update and apply the fixes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric,

As we discussed this issue occurs because a previous installation puts the computer in a state where a restart is pending.

To remove the traces of Windows Essential, please refer to this article.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/messenger-wlinstall/how-to-uninstall-windows-live-essentials-via-cmd/3d26c7ea-faf0-437a-88b0-c5bdd3dd31ec

Note: It’s recommended you are signed as an administrator to install Program on the computer.

Let’s try installing Windows Essentials using standalone download (wlsetup-web.exe).

For more information on Installation failure when installing Windows Essentials 2012, refer to this article.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/messenger-wlinstall/installation-failure-when-installing-windows/857a40cd-0ac2-4401-b881-89696299900c

Keep us updated about the status of the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello everyone,

Well, this is an old issue and I'm not sure if you guys are still looking for a solution, but I was finally able to solve this problem which migrated in my laptop from windows 7 to 10 and thought to share it with you. The solution is simple but very tedious. Needless to say you must be logged as Administrator to perform this fix.

Step 1:

Try to uninstall Windows Essentials either in Programs and Features or by using CMD line parameter:

-(64 bit):  "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\installer\wlarp.exe" /cleanup:all /q

-(32 bit):  "c:\program files\windows live\installer\wlarp.exe" /cleanup:all /q

Note: Don't waste your time with the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter, as it is useless in this case and it will only remove single Windows Essentials programs without their associated executables. 

Step 2:

Run wlsetup-web.exe if you already have it, or download and run it:  Download Windows Essentials . The setup dialog menu should open and you can select all or some of the programs. For the sake of repairing the installation I would suggest installing all and then uninstalling what you don't need (note: Outlook Connector Pack will be installed separate from Windows Essentials and can be later uninstalled directly from Programs and Features). The process should start downloading and installing Windows Essential and as expected will fail towards the end with varying errors. Never mind this! Just close the installation and move to the next step.

Step 3:

This is the tricky and tedious part. The setup has downloaded the installation files to a folder named ".cache" located in:

-(64 bit):  c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache

-(32 bit):  c:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache

It is a protected system folder and you must change view settings and uncheck the "Hide protected operating system files" in the Folders view option to be able to see it. Double click it and you will find about 30 or so subfolders with "17 random character" names containing the installation files.

Now here is the problem, some of these installers are working well but others (for a reason beyond my knowledge) point to a different path other than where they are located and therefore fail to run! So I had to check them one by one from top to bottom. Open each subfolder and double click the installer. If it runs then it's ok, or if it asks for User Account Control confirmation it is also ok (SAY NO to this, we are only checking and don't want to install anything now) and move to the next subfolder/installer. If it doesn't run and gives a path error, click on browse and select the same folder path where it's located and confirm. It will ask for Admin confirmation, ok and let it run and move to the next one until you have checked all of them point to the correct path and can run.

Step 4:

Now rerun wlsetup-web.exe (and again I would recommend choosing all). This time the installation should complete successfully. Hopefully now you have repaired your installation and you can go as normal to Programs and Features and run Windows Essential Uninstall/Change and choose what to keep. For me I have removed it completely from my laptop as I have no need for Windows Essentials with Windows 10!

Good luck!

N.B. Don't forget to change your folders view option back to its original settings and check "Hide protected operating system files"

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.