0x80040605, during installation of Windows Essentials 2012

Installation failed with
An Unknown error occurred
Error: 0x80040605
Source: soxe.definitions

Windows 7 professional x64

I already tried windows update, remow windows live folder and browser reset etc.
Reasonable answer please.

Hi eunlyong,

Please try to uninstall Windows Essentials first using the CMD line parameter. This would remove components and registry keys not removed during the normal uninstallation process. You can follow the steps in this thread.

After that, install Essentials using the offline installer. You can download it here.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the exact same error code and source when I was trying to install Windows Essentials 2012, I'm running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64.

I found the perfect solution and hope this helps someone out. The problem was that my main account on my PC is a "Microsoft account" linked to my hotmail address. I searched really hard and found a suggestion to create a "local account" and it worked like a charm!

Developers at Microsoft should fix this bug, programs shouldn't require a local account just for installation. Is there a way I can file a bug report or see if one has been filed already?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are also getting the same error code. Let's see what we can do. If you still want to resolve the issue, you may do the following for investigation.

1. Uninstall Windows Essentials on your local account.

2. After that, reinstall Windows Essentials on the User profile which is your Microsoft account.

3. Collect log files for Windows Essentials Installer.

Upload the log files on the private message area that I've enabled for you. Make sure that you sign in to Microsoft Community forum and click the You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section link to access it. If you have further questions, please let us know.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Helene,

I have attached the logs privately as requested. This time when I tried to install with my Microsoft account, I got the same error code, but different source. It changed from soxe.definitions to crt110-amd64. I reinstalled using my local account and it worked again. Hope this helps with finding the source of the problem.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

UPDATE: I was curious if other people have found the same solution, so I clicked the "Related Content" links and read them. I found this post:

kezsunaj replied on

Hi,

System Environment Variables must have a default values:

TMP=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

If something is changed it will provide an error 0x80040605.

Best regards

Here's the thread where I found it.

Then I realized that I am using a RAM disk program which moves my temp folders to my RAM disk. So I tried uninstalling from my local account again, log in my MS account and
disable RAMdisk, made sure temp environment variables are pointing to default location, then reinstalled and this time it worked! So I guess the true culprit is the location of the temp folders, not the Microsoft vs Local account status.

So to those of you who encounter this error code and found this thread, try checking the environment variables for your temp folder. Or if you think it's easier, create a new local account and install from there, that worked for me as well.

I find it odd that my RAM disk never gave me any problems when installing other programs. It would be great if the WL installer can be updated to handle such a situation where the temp folder is not at its default location.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much. You solved my problem. I use the RAM disk as TEMP too. :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 8, 2024 Views 3,039 Applies to: