Question

Q: Migrate Office Live to Windiows Live

Question Summary
Other Windows Live Hotmail issues

Please provide your impacted Email address :
*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Additional Details
Office Live Support recommended that I consult in the Windows Live Forum.  I am currently a user of OfficeLiveSmallBusiness.  I understand that Microsoft is  closing it and migrating people to the 360 service.  I do not use my domain with a website.  I only use the domain for my family's eMail and skydrive.  Office Live Support said that I can register/migrate my domain "brin.net" to Windows Live Admin Center, and told me to close my domain on OL and then register it to WL.   1) Has this been tried and does this work?   2) Once done, the key question is whether I can still use "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" or will it be locked out of the Microsoft Hotmail system since it was used under Office Live.  This is the key critical issue for me.

Thank you.
Mitchell

Answer

A:

Hi mbrin,

I apologize if I missed out something on my previous post. To answer your question, the corresponding user accounts under your domain will also be cancelled as you cancel your registration with Office Live. This would mean that after you register your domain with Windows Live, the user accounts shall be registered as well. It means your domain will start like a new one. You would need to create those user accounts again.

As an additional info, please inform the users to back up their emails. After the migration, they will not be able to recover those emails anymore since there would be changes in server.

Hope this one helps!

Thanks!                 
Rate this Moderator         

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer

A:

Hi mbrin,

Here is what you need to do, you would need to cancel your registration with Office Live, then register to Windows Live. This will work of course as long as the registration with your current email provider is already cancelled. A domain's email function will not work smoothly if it is currenlty registered to two services.

Once the cancellation took place, just go to https://domains.live.com/. Please be infomred that the domain administrator has the ability to do this. Windows Live will create a corresponding admin token or MX record that you would need to configure with the domain, then everything shall work accordingly.

Please refer to the link below after your registration with Windows Live:

Unable to set up MX record as there is no MX record in the Admin page

I have moved your post to Admin Center forum.

Thanks!                 
Rate this Moderator         

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,005 Last updated: February 12, 2018 Applies to: