Create Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V

I have a Windows 10 Pro v2004 64-bit system on which I want to install Windows XP in a virtual drive.

The source for Windows XP is a DVD created from my MSDN subscription ISO file.

Using Hyper-V quick create I have a VXD which now requires the OS install.

When I insert the DVD it autostarts the install, but the Welcome screen" has the Install Windows XP greyed out. 

(I need XP installed because some old software uses the very old CD access of those times). 

Is this a comparability problem, or something with Hyper-V that I need to tweek?

WW

Hi GX. I'm Greg, an eleven years awarded MVP, Volunteer Moderator, and Independent Advisor here to help you until this is resolved.

See the suggestions here for making XP work in Hyper V:
https://superuser.com/questions/1230652/get-off...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detail...
https://superuser.com/questions/1288292/create-...
https://superuser.com/questions/1316269/is-it-p...

I hope this helps. Based on what you report back I can answer any questions and may have other steps to perform. If you'll wait to rate whether my post was helpful, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am aware that Windows XP Mode was a Windows 7 feature - not available on Windows 10, AFAIK

I think I have checked a lot of the other online suggestions, but I will look at all 4 of the Superuser ones. 

[EDIT]

At one point I did use Hyper-V w/o its Quick Create, and chose the Generation 1 option but that did not work on the W10 machine I want it on. I will repeat, on another Windows 10 machine just to make sure.

WW

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I have use Hyper-V Manager, made it a Gen1, opted to install the OS immediately from a bootable DVD, selected that, it went through in seconds.

I can't believe that the full 600MB of files on that bootable DVD have been installed.

At the end process so far, I have my virtual machine showing in Hyper-V as Windows XP (Gen 1) with its state Off.

I won't Start or Connect  yet - as I recall, that is what I did previously and the response is that there isn't a bootable OS.

Your advice, please?

[EDIT]

I see in one of the 4 links, that SP3 of Windows XP is required as Windows 10 / Hyper-V needs that.

Both ISO files that I have are SP3, but currently the bootable DVD that I have was created with this ISO  file -

en_windows_xp_professional_kn_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_x14-92432.iso

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the install is happening now, once I changed the critical setting in Hyper-V, with a Gen1 type.

That is to change the Settings > Memory > Dynamic Memory to OFF - that is, un-check the  Enable Dynamic Memory.

I obtained a blue VXD windows that had a message, then the install commenced.

My problem now is an error message in the (part-created ?) Windows XP VXD - 

STOP: c0000221 unknown Hard Error 

\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll

... perhaps I am getting there?

A comment at the same SuperUser page that gave the break-through - 

Is it possible to get a Windows XP SP3 Hyper-V virtual machine properly working on Windows 10 Pro? - Super User 

may be helpful to other people trying this.

Windows 10 Home doesn't support Hyper-V - make sure that you are using Windows 10 Pro host machine.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I see that you made some progress. Then you marked my post unhelpful.  This affects my standing here for doing my best to help you, taking my time to research this issue thoroughly for you. 

All major resources said this is not possible in Windows 10, so I dug even deeper to find tech-skilled enthusiasts who may have found a path.   

May I ask why you marked by post unhelpful?  Did you need more help?

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 28, 2024 Views 20,210 Applies to: