I'm hoping someone else has had this situation because I have searched for two days now and I have not seen a problem similar to my situation. After downloading and installing the 8.1 April Update (KB2919355) the following issues appear on my Surface RT (Surface 1):
- The OneDrive modern app cannot be accessed. Initially the app will load to the app's start / splash screen and "hang". After closing it down and reopening, the app starts to load (you can see the dots moving across the screen at the top), but then crashes back to start.
- The pictures app will not progress past the initial splash screen. I believe this is because the pictures app is looking for information from OneDrive.
- When in desktop, right clicking on properties of the OneDrive directory, it is referenced to "c:\users\xxx\skydrive. However, there is no file folder in that location called "Skydrive" it has been renamed to "OneDrive". Trying to move the target to another location does not seem to help.
- The Skydrive / OneDrive Sync Engine Service will not start. The "cloud" icon does not appear in the system tray. Right clicking on the OneDrive folder in the menu bar and selecting "sync" generates an error.
- The Skydrive / OneDrive Sync Engine is not listed in any services and cannot be started manually.
I have tried several "installs / uninstalls" of the update and that does not correct the situation. I have also run a "refresh" which brings me back to the original Windows 8.1. After applying all the updates up until KB2919355, everything works correctly. As soon as KB2919355 is applied, the above problems appear. Right now I have edited my registry to turn off automatic updates so the KB2919355 is not applied. The only option I believe I have left is to a 100% clean install of the OS, but don't want to waste another 4 hours installing and updating only to have the same issue reappear!
If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated!! I have all my important documents in OneDrive and if the update removes the ability to connect and use OneDrive, it defeats the whole purpose of having this Surface.