'RECIMG' is not recognized as an internal or external command on windows RT 8.1 on Surface RT

Is RECIMG.EXE available / included in windows 8.1 RT?

In command prompt w/ administrative rights I get the response that RECIMG is not recognized.

I did create a recovery drive on an USB through control panel / file history / recovery

I have been searching the internet for RECIMG and Windows 8 / 8.1 RT and I am not getting answers if it exists or not in the RT version of Windows.

I do use it in my Windows 8 Pro version as a recovery option to a last good working copy (I keep several).

A simple yes or no to my question above will be very much appreciated.

|
Answer
Answer

Videogayme,

do not give up yet. I don't know exactly what all you have been through. A Windows 8 or 8.1 RT OS for a tablet is not the same as the Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro that also can be loaded on some tablets that have the processor to handle this OS.

The above is public knowledge by now. The two OS version kind of being referenced at the same time in lots of instructions because they indeed have lots in common.

As to the recovery / restore part of these two versions (PRO and RT) there is a difference. So to get back to the Question that started it all: Is RECIMG.EXE included in Windows 8RT  or Windows 8.1 RT??

The answer is NO! :) This was discovered with Microsoft tech support (online chat).

The RT version uses ReAgentc.exe where RE stands for Recovery Environment. This command preps your device in such away that it creates a space where the recovery files are stored and where you can go to should you need to recover. You can google / research this further.

One more clarification as to the image available on Microsoft's website: This is not a Win 8.1 RT but a Win 8 RT image. AT least, the last time I looked was around the 22nd of October 2013.

So here is what I can share with all of you:

I downloaded the image from Microsoft (win 8 RT);

I wiped clean my SURFACE RT and reinstalled win 8

at this point you would want to use the Reagentc.exe command to make sure you have your recovery partition in place. you will have to do some reading on this to find the right command parameters. Here you have some more info (read to the last part) where you see how the Reagentc.exe is being used:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/surface-rt-startup-error-0xc000000d

Remember that Microsoft posted the above link after the bad rollout. Now the RT 8.1 is back up and it has been fixed. So if you successfully manage to restore version 8.0 RT you can run all your updates and go back to the apps store and try to get 8.1 RT back on your system.

It worked for me  and I know show around by SURFACE RT 8.1 around and show the some of the amazing features / options added. I hope the above helps you in your case.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2020 Views 2,517 Applies to: