After installing update KB3033055 on Surface 2 (Windows RT 8.1)

I have a Surface 2 with windows RT 8.1 installed on it, and I love it. But the only problem is I recently had to perform a system refresh on it. After that, I had reinstalled all of the updates, and then I came to a bunch of optional updates, here I installed them one at a time.

But when I installed the update KB3033055, I turned the tablet on and all I get is a black screen with a Wi-Fi indicator showing full bars flashing on and off constantly. Any body know a possible fix for this? To my understanding this is the 8.1 Update 3 that brings the Windows 10 style start menu, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for all of the responses in advance!

Quinn Henry

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2019 Views 6,079 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your feedback. We have identified the root cause and published a fix through Windows Update. This fix is available in the August 14, 2018—KB4343898 (Monthly Rollup) package.
  • Addresses an issue that may prevent your device from starting up properly if you install KB3033055 (released September 2015) after installing any Monthly Rollup dated November 2017 or later.
If your device is already booting to a black screen, you may need to Restore/refresh Surface with a recovery image. For additional information see the following thread

Scott[MSFT]

Scott McArthur[MSFT]

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.