Cannot connect Windows RT 8.1 Asus VivoTab to a printer connected to a Windows 7 HP laptop

I have an Asus Vivo Tab PC that runs on Windows RT 8.1 which is connected via a home network to a Windows 7 HP laptop. A printer is connected to

the HP laptop. I am trying to connect to the printer via the Vivo Tab control panel > Add a Printer function, but when I click on the printer icon

to add the printer, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000490".

Do you know what this means? Can you help me find a solution? Thanks much.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2018 Views 3,137 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Philippe,

What is the make and model of the printer?

This issue could be caused due to some incorrect settings. I would suggest you to try these steps and check:

Method 1: Printer troubleshooter

The printer troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix most of the incorrect settings and errors that could cause issues with printer. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

a)      Press Windows key +F to bring up the search Charms bar.

b)      Select settings in the drop down menu below search and type Troubleshooting.

c)       Click on Troubleshooting and select the view all option on the left pane.

d)      Click on Printer troubleshooter and follow the prompts.

Method 2:

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to try the steps suggested in this article and check:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-device-or-pc-to-network

You can also refer to these articles for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-printer#install-printer=windows-8

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-view-manage-devices-printers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/share-printer

Try these steps and let us know the results. We’d be happy to help if you need any further assistance.

Cheers,
Ben.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Bennett,

thanks much for the prompt reply.

The printer is a wired Brother MFC-7340. It works when I plug it directly to the Windows RT 8.1 tablet, but I still cannot connect to it when it is plugged to the Windows 7 laptop. I keep getting the same message mentioned.

I tried all the steps mentioned in the several articles you sent, but ended up with the same message: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000490"

BTW, do you know why Windows does not explain the error codes in plain English to facilitate troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Philippe

Sorry this didn't help.

I get the same thing on an hp officejet 4500 on my surface rt.  HPs site just says that it should work lol

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an Asus Vivo Tab PC that runs on Windows RT 8.1 which is connected via a home network to a Windows 7 HP laptop. A printer is connected to

the HP laptop. I am trying to connect to the printer via the Vivo Tab control panel > Add a Printer function, but when I click on the printer icon

to add the printer, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation failed with error 0x00000490".

Do you know what this means? Can you help me find a solution? Thanks much.

This happens when you try and connect RT to a shared printer on another PC. I believe it has to do with the print server trying to 'suggest' an x86 driver to the RT device. Try this:

• Connect the printer directly to your Surface. This will allow RT to see the printer and choose the correct driver (by connecting directly we save the driver guess work). Print a test page to make sure the driver is working
  • Reconnect the printer to the PC acting as the print server
  • On the Surface open Control Panel>Devices and Printers, right-click on the newly installed printer and choose Printer properties
  • Go to the Ports tab and click Add Port
  • Under Available port types highlight Local Port and then click New Port
  • For the port name enter \\printserver\printer replace 'printserver' with the name of the PC the printer is connected to and replace 'printer' with the name of the shared printer.
  • Click OK and on the next window click Close
  • You should be back on the Ports tab of Printer properties. The new port should be listed and selected. Click Apply and then click Close

Hope this helps

• Try and print

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
I have a similar problem as I'm trying to add a canon MP 250 printer on a windows RT 8.1 Surface RT via domestic group (the printer is physically connected to a windows 7 HP laptop).
I have added successfully the same printer, connected to the same Windows 7 HP laptop, via the same domestic group, to a windows 8.1 surface pro.
I have also added successfully the same printer to the Surface RT by physically connecting it to the Surface RT USB port.
The Surface RT is correctly connected to the domestic group, since I'm able to retrieve files from the Windows 7 HP.
I can even "see" the printer device under the HP, from my surface RT. However, I always get error 490 when adding it.
The workaround you have suggested does not work since, when trying to add a local port for \\server\printer, I get the message "network path not found" or similar (the OS language is not English, but this is the general meaning).
Can you please help me?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Kind regards,
Alfredo

Sorry this didn't help.

What's the name of the port that your Surface Pro is using for the printer?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,
the name of the printer port on the surface Pro is (interestingly) USB002 (but it's a remote printer - the title of the device icon in the control panel is "Canon MP250 series printer on <server>"). I see no reference, in the printer properties, to the fact the the printer is remote.
Meanwhile I overcame the "network path not found" problem on the surface RT by including the word "Printer" in the "\\server\printer" local port string (i.e. using "\\<server>\Canon MP250 series Printer" instead of just "\\<server>\Canon MP250 series").
But that didn't take me very far as the printer always appears to be offline i.e. I still cannot print. However, this is not a problem specific to the surface RT since I now get the same symptom on the surface Pro as well. (If attempting to print anyway from the Notepad utility on the Surface Pro, I get the message "RPC server not available").
Nevertheless, the domestic group is still active, as I'm still able to browse through folders of the HP Windows 7 (printer server), even from the Surface RT.
Also, I am able to print remotely via the domestic group from a fourth computer (Asus windows 7).
In summary, the Windows 8.1 / 8.1 RT machines seem unable to communicate with the printer via domestic group, even though they are able to access files on the printer server via domestic group and another (windows 7) machine is able to print via domestic group.
(In the surface Pro case, it did seem to communicate successfully with the printer on one occasion, but no longer.)
Thanks a lot in advance for any further hint.
Kind regards,
Alfredo

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you verify that both the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Print Spooler services are running and set to start automatically.

Open Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi trippma,

thanks for your reply.

I went to Control Panel, but cannot find the path Administrative Tools>Services. can you confirm. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, try Control Panel> System and Security> Administrative Tools> Services

Sorry this didn't help.