disable automatic split screen when moving apps

OK. I have read questions/answers, looked up in manual, and tried various features in the control panel.

Here's the problem:

Whenever I move an open application on the desktop, it automatically snaps it into the split screen mode in the size of the split screen without maximizing. When I want an application in the middle of the screen, windows 8.1 will not allow me to move it there. The minute I start to move an open app, the yellow/red lines show up and automatically move the app even though I tried to drop it where I wanted it.

The way I have been working around this problem is to use the resizing feature of the window. I.e., I take the left side and move it to where I want it. Then I take the right size and move that where I want it. I might also do the same to the top/bottom depending on the window.

It is really annoying to have to do this as a work-around. I want to choose where on MY desktop I place my open applications. If I want it split, I want an OPTION to split my desktop.

Please, please, please  fix this or tell me how to turn off the automatic split screen option (even if it requires a registry change).

|

Automatic snap only happens if you drag your finger (or mouse pointer) to the left or right edges of the screen. This has been the way its worked since windows 7 came out. looks as though you havent quite figured out how it works yet, but you don't need to edit anything. What you want to achieve is already possible. You're just doing it wrong.

edit: the only thing that is weird is that you mention "yellow/red lines" - I have never seen such a thing. could you clarify?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that if you move the application to the left or right edges of the screen (or within the yellow and/or red lines) it will automatically adjust to the split.

However, what I wish to do is move an application to the center of the monitor. It does not matter what size the window is, when I move it to the center (and/or straddle the split screen lines) it automatically moves the window to the nearest split and maximizes the screen to fill the split screen area. This is something new with Windows 8.1.

You can see the yellow and red lines in this screen shot. It does not matter how big (or small) the window is. When I move it anywhere on the screen Windows 8.1 automatically resizes the window to fit within either the red or yellow lines. I know you only see the vertical lines; however, rest assured that there are red or yellow lines at the top or bottom of the screen.

If I desire to move something such as this reply box around the desktop, dropping it, no matter where, it will automatically be resized to the area designated by the split screen function.

So, if you could tell me how to stop Windows 8.1 from doing this, I would really appreciate it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

that doesn't look like Windows RT. and those yellow/red lines sure don't look like windows features.

i'm guessing you've posted this question in the wrong section and you have some weird thirdparty software being responsible for that.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

tl;dr version: problem caused by Dell Display Manager, fix it by opening the application and disabling "easy arrange" by selecting a no-layout icon. See attached picture. Full explanation below.

FULL EXPLANATION:

I know why you were facing this issue. I had the same behavior happen to me and luckily I managed to figure it out, thanks to LCRT below who mentioned about third party software. I had suspected this might be the case, but I wasn't sure. In any case, after coming here (after many unsuccessful searches through Windows settings), I started looking harder (besides, this behavior was looking quite alien to me).

Guess what. It's the Dell Display Manager which does that :). I got that software with my Dell monitor. Like most software made in China it is quite buggy (actually it's among the best such programs I've used, much less buggy & horrible than others). Usually, hardware manufacturers have terrible software but this one is quite useful due to auto-setting of brightness level based on running application.

Aaaaanyway, the problem can be fixed if you open Dell Display Manager. You will see that it has some example window layouts in the lower part of the window. You can also access these if you go to "Configure" (that is available when it's in "Auto mode"). There, you have a tab called "Easy Arrange" and that's where the problem is. In "easy arrange", the Dell Display Manager tracks window movements and attempts to reorganize them based on various available layouts. Depending on the layout you selected, it will draw yellow boxes on the screen. I had one where my screen was split in two: one thin vertical yellow box on the right and a larger one on the left. When the window was in one of the boxes, the border became red.

So yeah, that's the problem :). And you fix it by selecting the "no easy arrange" icon. I attached a picture to show how.

89 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so very much! This issue has been driving me CRAZY. Your solution fixed it. :)

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2021 Views 5,807 Applies to: