Question

Q: Isapnp.sys is missing or corrupt

Tried to start my PC running Windows XP and got the following error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Isapnp.sys" error message at startup

Rebooted from Windows XP CD, pressed R to start Recovery Console.

Followed Microsoft on-line help recommendation and typed: ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old

However, got error message "Access denied".  When I typed C:\> dir  got error message"An error occurred during directory enumeration"

Not sure what's wrong.  Any suggestions?

Answer

A:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I typed:  chdsk c: /r

Response was:

CHKDSK is checking the volume ...

CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery ...

25% completed

The volume appears to contian one or more unrecoverable problems.

... any other suggestions?

Windows XP To replace the Isapnp.sys file in Windows XP, follow these steps:
  1. Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
  2. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to start Recovery Console.
  3. If you have a dual-boot or a multiple-boot computer, type the number that corresponds to your Windows XP installation when you are prompted to select the Windows installation to log on to, and then press ENTER.
  4. When you are prompted for the Administrator password, type the password, and then press ENTER.

Note If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  5. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old
    Note The steps in this article assume that you installed Windows XP to the C: drive. The actual location of your Windows installation may vary.
  6. At the C:\Windows prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    expand <var>cd-romdrive</var> :\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
    For example, type:
    expand d:\i386\isapnp.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
  7. After the file is successfully expanded, type exit , and then press ENTER to exit Recovery Console.
  8. Restart the computer.

I don't vote for myself I'm not here for the points. If this post helps you, vote. Visit my forum @ http://repairbotsonline.com/
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 7,702 Last updated: May 22, 2018 Applies to: