winxp WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe not valid win32 application

I'm having difficulty installing a wireless usb keyboard and mouse with windows xp pro SP3.  Also can't install a usb keyboard or a usb mouse.  So I wanted to see if my driver.cab file contains the same d4rivers as sp3.  So I downloaded WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe to extract the files and determine if the cab files are the same.  However when I open a cmd shell and type WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe -x:c:\sp3 from teh c:\sp3 folder I get the error message C:\sp3\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3--x86-ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Basically I'm hosed as my OS is obviously has an issue trying to install a usb device and that's all they sell anymore.  Makes me want to go right out there and buy another new system NOT.   Help would be appreciated.  I expect many users will have issues as their ps2 keyboards fail.

Question Info

Last updated August 3, 2018 Views 15,516 Applies to:

winxp WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe not valid win32 application

That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.

Get a fresh copy.

`~`

If repeated downloads all result in a corrupt file, the problem is either with your Internet connection, security software or the download server.

Additional information:

This issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities.

File is corrupt, bad, or missing.

File is not designed for your version of Windows.

File is a virus, worm, or other malware file.

Hardware incompatibility.

File is corrupt, bad, or missing

If the file or program you're attempting to run is corrupt or missing, Windows will be unable to execute the file properly and sometimes generate this error message.

If you downloaded this file and verified it is a file that will work with your version of Windows, delete the file and try downloading and running it again. It's possible during the download that the file became corrupted.

Hardware incompatibility.

If the hard disk drive is corrupted or bad it can also cause working programs to fail either because not all the data can be read from the hard disk drive or because the program has become corrupted while on the drive.

Run chkdsk and scandisk on the hard disk drive to check for any potential errors.

If you're getting this error during the installation of a program it's also possible that the CD-ROM drive or the drive you're installing the program from is not compatible with Windows or has drivers that are not compatible with Windows.

Download the latest drivers for your CD drive or other drive through the device or computer manufacturers' download page, NEVER Windows Update.

01:44:5307/22/11

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not a duplicate.  I'm trying to extract sp3 to see if the driver file is different from the sp3 on my
xp box that will not load drivers for a usb keyboard, a usb mouse, or a usb wireless receiver for a
keyboard and mouse.

Repeated attempts to download the file on the xp box do not result in a runnable program.  I've never had this issue before.  Download a program, open the folder, and run it.
An Operating System should not interrupt the user; nor require updates, antivirus, or firewalls.

Sorry this didn't help.

The download does work under win7.  Opening a win7 cmd shell and typing the filename with -x:c:\directory results in the file correctly extracting itself.  Don't understand why I need a win7 box to fix an xp box.  Has anyone been able to correctly extract the sp3 service pack under XP which is the system it is designed to run on?  MS should have lots of customers that still use XP and will require it to work when they are trying to replace a PS2 keyboard.
An Operating System should not interrupt the user; nor require updates, antivirus, or firewalls.

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not a duplicate...

Is it the same computer and the same USB-connected hardware problem as in your previous thread?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes the winxp box is the same box as the previous thread.  But the inability to extract a SP3 download isn't related to the problem of not being able to install a USB wireless keyboard and mouse driver is it?  I don't see how trying to download SP3 and extract it to the hard drive to look at it has anything to do with driver installation errors.

Sorry this didn't help.

See my reply to your earlier thread.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

I found a bios update for the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard that "fixes" an issue with Win XP and large file transfers.  Also found one that "Fixes" the issue of the issue of Win XP not installing the driver when we enable legacy USB keyboards and mice in the BIOS.

Now when I download WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe it is a different size and it does run on the WinXP box.  The usb wireless keyboard and mouse still fails to install as does a usb keyboard.

At this point my best guess is that WinXP became incompatible with my motherboard at some point over the past 4 years.  Then updates using large files became corrupted without me knowing about it.  Now updating to a USB keyboard and mouse doesn't work as some portion of the OS, Microsoft's OS, doesn't work properly.

Can't say I'm just really dying to upgrade to Win 7 in the future and get this same behaviour some day.  I'ld prefer an OS that never updates.  I'll probably buy a wired PS2 keyboard and mouse while I can still get one thoug I'ld really rather have a wireless keyboard and mouse.  And I don't want to reinstall Win XP SP2 and start over.

Sorry this didn't help.

When reinstalling Windows XP you must use a PS/2 keyboard, probably should use a PS/2 mouse as well. But I think it will install with a USB mouse. You will get rejected with a USB keyboard, and SP3 wont install.  The error says it's not a valid Win32 file.

Sorry this didn't help.