Windows XP update error: 0x8024D001, the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

Original title: Windows XP ~ Windows Update Problem.

For three days solid, off and on I've been sleeping then working, sleeping then working to resolve a problem I'm having with Windows XP Windows Update feature - This is the error message I constantly get

[Error number: 0x8024D001]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

I've installed a fresh copy of Windows XP over a brand new hard drive, installed Servce Pack 1, Service Pack 2 & Service Pack 3, installed Internet Explorer 8 installed .NET Framework 2.0 as Microsoft requested, altered popup settings to allow Windows Update page to be free to scan my system for updates needed, etc... and I've even Enabled all Active X permission YET I still can't get Windows Update to allow me to download all the updates, patches, etc... Windows Update usually does

I've also turned on Automatic Updates requirement also BUT no dice - I simply can't get Windows Update To activate and start like normal no matter how many times I format the drive and do a fresh install.

I had to get a new hard drive as my old one crashed.

Now I have to install Windows XP over again but I've noticed the old, easy way to update somehow has been crippled.

It is as IF Microsoft Is crippling Windows Update to start up easy as pie, so now we users HAVE To jump through hoops to get our Windows XP OS updated and many times the requests Microsoft asks for us for, or install 'FIX IT' service doesn't work and it's impossible to reach Microsoft by telephone about this, and the live online help runs into errors when that is installed so I'm forced to hit the Internet Forum here for advice.

How, in simple terms can Windows XP allow Windows Update to begin the scan, download and install process that it is supposed to do?

What exactly is missing to allow the screen to show the green scanning bar and the notificiation that there are updates available?

What am I doing wrong?

I really hate to say this BUT I'm literally on the verge of tears.

HELP!

Is there a master maintenance program like a 'rollup All-In-One patch' that scans Windows XP for missing programs, apps and settings and does a go over to set everything right and make sure the needed programs to make Windows Update work are knitted into Windows XP including all missing sub-routines to programs and settings then verifies them without saying errors or wrong version but assures it goes out to FIND The RIGHT version of what is needed? 

Or better still a Master Compilation Disc i.e. Final Service Pack 4.0 that contains ALL known patches on DVD that would have be found in the downloaded Windows Update but instead is purchased for $10.00 that contains every single patch and update known for Windows XP so that we manually can update Windows XP from the user's side of the Internet without having to go onto to the internet?
Answer
Answer
You need 3 things for WU to work.
WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe
  KB892130 Windows Genuine Advantage Validation v1.9.42.0

WindowsXP-KB898461x86-ENU.exe   KB898461 Installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer for Windows

And and unofficial WUA,,,,

It's because of on outdated dll of WUA that MS doesn't update sometimes for some unknown reason...even the WU's Fix it's don't solve it. I was running some test in virtual machine and ran into the same issue yesterday. You need to install the unofficial WUA.
Windows Update Agent below..MS's latest is not the latest. Boo MS.
Download WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256-257.zip to your desktop (MS does not make the latest version of Windows Update Agent. Only 7.4.7600.243 so we make it with this).

Unzip it, go into the folder and double click RunMe-MakeInstallWindowsUpdateAgent.bat.

It will download, from MS, the files needed to create Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256/257 and then install it. The files in it are 100% Microsoft. It just uses some third party tools to make it.

You'll be left with the installer, WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256-257.exe. Keep it or delete it. Your choice.

Antivirus scan for WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256-257.zip

Information for network administrators about how to obtain the latest Windows Update Agent

From the bulletin above...
Notice
There is no standalone installer of the latest version of the Windows Update Agent (7.6.7600.256)

EDIT: Forgot to mention. It took 1 hour before the scan completed for me. One guy I was helping on another forum just let WU scan overnight. When he woke up, the scan had the results. So be patient.

"Or better still a Master Compilation Disc i.e. Final Service Pack 4.0 that contains ALL known patches on DVD that would have be found in the downloaded Windows Update but instead is purchased for $10.00 that contains every single patch and update known for Windows XP so that we manually can update Windows XP from the user's side of the Internet without having to go onto to the internet?"

You can make an up-to-date CD and not deal with all the hassles when installing fresh. You need nLite and my UDC script. You'll only need SP3 when slipstreaming. Not SP1 or SP2.
Make an up-to-date XP CD @ http://xdot.tk/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2020 Views 35,352 Applies to: