Windows xp sp3 No critical updates available

I have Windows XP SP3 installed .For the past 8 months Microsoft Update has stated that I have no critical updates available .

I have searched the Microsoft site and downloaded and installed the KB no's manually today but would appreciate how to get

the update site to work and be able to download and install updates .This is only applicable to Windows update as my Office and other

updates appear on the site for download and install .Please can someone assist .

Answer
Answer
Q: ...tell me what file version is displayed here?
A: MSHTML.DLL VERSION = 8.0.6001.18702

[It took me well over an hour to research & prepare this reply!]

Mshtml.dll v8.0.6001.18702 dates from early 2009. Best I can tell, it was included with either IE8 Final or the last build of IE8 Beta!  Compare to v8.0.6001.18812 which dates from June 2009 (i.e., the very first security update for IE8 Final) and v8.0.6001.19400 which this month's KB2792100 would have installed.

This very strongly suggests that your dealer did a Repair Install, not a clean install, of WinXP in December 2011 without uninstalling IE8 (and/or IE7) beforehand. [No wonder he's "no longer there!"]

Related:

• How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if a later version of Internet Explorer is installed
     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Of course there's the very remote possibility that your injudicious use of registry cleaners may have something to do with this but I don't think so.

Now for the bad news: Your only recourse now (no matter which of the above caused the problem) is to format the hard-drive (after backing up your personal data, of course) & then doing a clean install of WinXP.  See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

If you need additional assistance with the clean install, please begin your own, new thread in this forum:http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system

If these procedures are outside of your technical "comfort zone" - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the computer to a local, more-reputable and independent (i.e., not a "BigBoxStore" or the Geek Squad!) computer repair shop & let them do the work.

Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised. I guarantee that Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT working or installed properly despite the fact that it's fully-updated!

Wish I'd had better news for you. Good luck!

PS: No, another Repair Install cannot fix this, even if you uninstalled IE8 beforehand.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2019 Views 1,472 Applies to: