Windows update KB2799494 won't install

Windows updates arrived this evening.  Windows update KB2799494 won't install.  I've gone through the 'fix-it' option and as usual that hasn't solved the problem.  So frustrating.  Any help out there?

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 8,214 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Had a similar issue on an older Medion Laptop of a friend running Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP3.
KB2799494 got installed yesterday - successfully as Windows Update stated (also in Event Viewer) - but on every reboot or access to Microsoft Update webpage KB2799494 was listed again to be ready to install.
To fix it, I also downloaded the KB279949*.exe installation package and installed manually, installation was successful again, but Windows Update kept popping up on a reboot.
Then I removed/uninstalled the update package from control panel->add/remove software and re-run Windows Update again with no luck. But after that the KB2799494 update was offered me to be installed on shutdown.
That finally did the trick, did a shutdown, KB2799494 was installed again and now it's recognized as being installed.

I think, since KB2799494 is a kernel update, the update installation does not fully work or go through while Windows is up and running (at least that's my suggestion for Windows XP). Might be even an issue with running anti virus software.

Hope that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Did you check the "show updates" option on top of the list? After that scroll down to the list of installed Windows Updates and look for KB2799494 in the list (was close to the end of the installed updates list for me).

Do you experience the same problems: installation of KB2799494 is successful but it gets offered for installation on every Windows Update accesss after that? Or do you get an error during installation of KB2799494?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.