Windows update failed get error message "0x80246008", BITS Error 1290: 0x50a.

Original title: windows update failed

When i try to install updates i get error message 0x80246008. I have tried to resolve this error with the methods i found on microsoft relating to B.I.T.S. service, but when i try to start Background Intelligent Transfer Service I get the following message, Could not start the Background Itelligent Transfer Service service on local computer. Error 1290: 0x50a.I have searched for a solution to this error but found nothing. This is stopping me using windows update.

Answer
Answer
  Hey Newbie,

It may be too late, but try this (I had the same problem):

Navigate to %WinDir%\inf in Explorer (which is usually C:\Windows\Inf) and search for qmgr.inf. Right click and select Install. You'll need the Windows install disk, although if qmgr.dll is in %WinDir%\System32 then you can potentially point to that file. Let the install finish. At this point the service name is again Background Intell... not @%SystemRoot%..., but it won't work yet.
  Copy the Parameters key of BITS from ControlSet001 to CurrentControlSet - the INF install does not create this key for some reason, or it did not for me to say the least.
  Now open a Command Prompt, cd into %WinDir%\System32 and run regsvr32 qmgr.dll. A pop-up should tell you that the operation was successful.

Now you should be able to start BITS from Services.

I hope it helps,

Morc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 14,603 Applies to: