Why does the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2722913) FAIL EVERY TIME IT ATTEMPTS TO INSTALL?

I get the notice that this update is available. I say install and it fails EVERY TIME. What good is it????

Hello Robert1775.

Some minimum details are needed.   Such as fail-exception code

See this MS article
Windows Update or Microsoft Update repeatedly offers the same update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

To get the fail-exception code, Do a new run of Windows Update
Then at the upper left, press on View Update history
Locate each item marked as Failed in the Status column; right-click on it and clickView details.
Then write down and report here in Error Details the Code shown and the name of the update item.

~ Maurice

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

2. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

3. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

4. Open Add/Remove Programs & make sure the Show Updates box at the top is checked (and leave it checked); then select the Name option in the Sort by box on the right. Now scroll down & tell me if ALL of the following updates are listed?

(a) KB2724197 [or KB2707511], KB2661254 & KB2749655;

(b) KB2699988 or KB2675157 [I already know that KB2744842 is not installed], KB2723135, KB2705219, KB2712808, KB2731847 & KB2736233;

(c) KB2698365, KB2691442, KB2655992 & KB2719985;

(d) KB2676562, KB2659262 & KB2686509;

(e) KB2393802 and especially Update for Windows XP (KB971029).

Most will be displayed as Security Update for Windows XP followed by the KB number in parentheses.

If IE8 is installed, one (1) will be displayed as Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 followed by the KB number in parentheses.

5. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

6a. Is Java Version 7 Update 9 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

6b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.4.402.287 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (ONLY!) => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

7. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

8. Have you ever had occasion to do a Repair Install or a clean install of WinXP for any reason?

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

sorry been out of circulation for a while (medical) will run the list and check all. thanks pa bear

Robert

The only way for evil to prevail is for good men to do NOTHING. Edmond Burke

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, take your time but...

IMPORTANT! => Chances are you're seeing the effects of an ongoing hijackware infection, possibly compounded by a rootkit (or bootkit) infection. The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Note: Please don't begin any more new threads about the computer-in-question. I can assure you that your IE update, email and "F parameter not specified" problems are all related.

Speaking of which...

[Attempting] to install Microsoft Security Essentials [fails & throws an] 0x80070643 [error]

See...

• Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected computer?
      http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275 

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 113 Applies to: