Problem with WIndows Update page

I am running Windows XP with Service pack 3. Microsoft Security essentials is the security system. When I try to run Windows Update using Internet Explorer 8, at the point the page is checking whether my system has the correct Updating Software, the page fails, eventually showing the message "Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears the website continues to have a problem."  This recurs every time I repeat the initial attempt, or click on "Return to microsoft.com" on the error message page. Is the problem with the Microsoft web page ( its address is www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx ) or on my machine?
Answer
Answer
When I try to run Windows Update ... at the point the page is checking whether my system has the correct Updating Software, the page fails ...  Is the problem with the Microsoft web page ( www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx ) or on my machine?

You're correct George: Whenever you go to the Windows or Microsoft Update site, Windows Update will take care of updating itself; i.e. it looks for updates made available to the Windows Update Agent or Client you use to update your system.

Since June 21, 2012 a new WUA version 7.6.7600.256 was made available through WU to automatically update itself from its now-old version 7.4.7600.226 .

The problem you're seeing may occur when there is a file version mismatch with Windows Update Agent files, i.e. a mix of old files with new files. This is due to a "failed or corrupted" installation.

You may take a look at your windowsupdate.log file located at your WINDOWS Directory, to check for any error codes - missing files or files failling to update (specially wuapi.dll, wups2.dll, wups.dll and/or wuweb.dll).

You need to re-register or re-install WU files in order to get the Windows Update Service working again. Try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958053

And

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Trust this helps.

If the above doesn't work, you might try getting the last version (that I know of) that Microsoft released in a fashion you could download & install manually (7.4.7600.226):

Windows Update Agent v7.4.7600.226 for 32-bit Windows

Install it and then either try your updates again and/or try the second link from RickCP to attempt to update automatically to the "latest" version of Windows Update Agent (I think it was actually released on June 2, not June 21...  VERY sure it was released prior to June 21 though - too many reports of issues before the 21st.)  I would suggest just manually downloading the file I link to, install it, reboot and try updates again.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
When I try to run Windows Update ... at the point the page is checking whether my system has the correct Updating Software, the page fails ...  Is the problem with the Microsoft web page ( www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx ) or on my machine?

You're correct George: Whenever you go to the Windows or Microsoft Update site, Windows Update will take care of updating itself; i.e. it looks for updates made available to the Windows Update Agent or Client you use to update your system.

Since June 21, 2012 a new WUA version 7.6.7600.256 was made available through WU to automatically update itself from its now-old version 7.4.7600.226 .

The problem you're seeing may occur when there is a file version mismatch with Windows Update Agent files, i.e. a mix of old files with new files. This is due to a "failed or corrupted" installation.

You may take a look at your windowsupdate.log file located at your WINDOWS Directory, to check for any error codes - missing files or files failling to update (specially wuapi.dll, wups2.dll, wups.dll and/or wuweb.dll).

You need to re-register or re-install WU files in order to get the Windows Update Service working again. Try here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958053

And

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

Trust this helps.

Lenovo ThinkCentre A55-8705/Windows XP Home Edition SP3/.NET3.5SP1/IE8/MSEv4.4.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 3,348 Applies to: