Microsoft Windows Update Failed To Install?

The Following Two Updates Will Not Install On My Windows XP Service Pack 3 , (1) Security Update For Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB2541025) (2) Update For Microsoft Office 2003 (KB2539581) .I Even Tried To Install Them Individually At http://www.update.microsoft.com With Little Success .Can Somebody Show Me A Way To Install These Critical Updates ?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You can also restart the computer in  clean boot the try installing Office updates and verify the status.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting in clean boot, ensure you restart the computer in normal mode.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have Excel, so my issue is only with KB2539581. I tried the clean boot install without a change in results.

I did have an issue with the System Configuration Utility though. I receive the message "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specific changes". I receive this when switching to Clean Boot as well as switching back, though my changes appear to be reflected. I added a new administrator User to my PC to see if that would work, but had the same results. Thought I should mention this, in case it is a clue.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

And what if that doesn't work?

I rebooted in Safe Mode, but Windows Update doesn't work when the PC is in Safe Mode.  So I downloaded KB2539581 & KB2524025 from microsoft.com, but the installs still didn't work.

Rebooted to normal Windows and ran the saved files, but both still failed.

Got the Auto Update, but it failed to install the 2 updates too.

I run WinXP, have Symantex Antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware.  No viruses or bugs detected.

Any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

In Windows Update, click on the "History" link. Find the updates that failed to install. There shoud be additional information about the cause of the failure and if you are lucky, links to suggestions on how to fix the problem. If no links, try googling for the error. If that doesn't work, please tell us exactly what the errors reported in the history are, the full error text and error code.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope that I am not just confusing things by piggybacking on Ken's issue, but I'm hoping they are the same. I checked the error, which is (0x80070643) a generic error that states I need to create a log. I did create a log per:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958052

It doesn't tell me where to take the logs, which would be helpful. I don't see that I can attach them here.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't see a response to what I do with my logs, so I raked through them on my own. Most of it is gibberish, but I do find the following which is gibberish to me but does supply additional error info:

Action start 7:02:58: ProgressForm.
MSI (c) (C8:F8) [07:02:58:703]: Note: 1: 2235 2:  3: ExtendedType 4: SELECT `Action`,`Type`,`Source`,`Target`, NULL, `ExtendedType` FROM `CustomAction` WHERE `Action` = 'ProgressForm'
MSI (c) (C8:A4) [07:02:58:703]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038
DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line1 on dialog ProgressForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: ProgressForm, Line1, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control Line2 on dialog ProgressForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: ProgressForm, Line2, to the right
DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BannerBmp on dialog ProgressForm extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: ProgressForm, BannerBmp, to the right
Action 7:02:58: ProgressForm. Dialog created
Action ended 7:02:58: ProgressForm. Return value 1.
MSI (c) (C8:F8) [07:02:58:765]: Doing action: ExecuteAction
Action 7:02:58: ExecuteAction. {\FinalUIFont}[PROGRESS_RESTORE_TXT]
MSI (c) (C8:A4) [07:02:58:781]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Has anyone successfully installed the two updates mentioned in this question?  If yes, please provide the details.  I also tried installing them individually at www.update.microsoft.com --

KB2539581 "appeared" to install.

However when I tried to update KB2541025, I received a message stating that windows encountered an error and needed to shut down.  

I've been trying to find a solution for this problem off and on for days.  I'd be most grateful for anything specific anyone has to share.

Thanks so much,

Miss Vivian 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I would be curious as well. I'm also curious as to why tech support responses seemed to have completely stopped.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been unable to download these two MS Updates (KB2539581 & KB2541025) for YEARS!  Each time it fails, it causes my Excel to load very slowly.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

And what if that doesn't work?

I rebooted in Safe Mode, but Windows Update doesn't work when the PC is in Safe Mode.  So I downloaded KB2539581 & KB2524025 from microsoft.com, but the installs still didn't work.

Rebooted to normal Windows and ran the saved files, but both still failed.

Got the Auto Update, but it failed to install the 2 updates too.

I run WinXP, have Symantex Antivirus and SuperAntiSpyware.  No viruses or bugs detected.

Any other ideas?

Has anyone found an answer to this question yet? It's very aggravating and I would like to know how to fix this!
Please remember I am minimally computer literate. I would need layman's terms or  step-by-step instructions. 
Thank you to anyone who can help with this situation. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 2,117 Applies to: