KB2633880 - KB2518864 - KB2572073 installed but not "seen" by Windows Update

KB2633880 - KB2518864 - KB2572073 installed but not "seen" by Windows Update

Today (Tuesday May 22 2012), after seeing the yellow icon in the Task bar, I ran Windows Update and installed successfully KB2633880 - KB2518864 - KB2572073, I turned off the PC by clicking on the red Turn Off icon with a 4 color shield icon, waited for all 3 updates to install and for the PC to shut down by itself. It took a while but everything went fine. No error message.

After powering on the PC, I went back to Windows Update and was surprised to see Windows Update suggesting to install .... KB2633880 - KB2518864 - KB2572073 i.e. the same three components that I just successfully installed. 

I ran Microsoft Fix It that found 1 issue (Windows Update Components must be repaired (next line) Repair Windows Update Components. I clicked on Next. Everything went fine. I got a green check "Fixed".  I turned off the PC (without installing the 3 updates which I already installed).

I powered on the PC and went back to Windows Update which is asking me to install KB2633880 - KB2518864 - KB2572073. It is as if Windows Update does not "see" that these 3 components have already been installed.

Note: I am having the same problem on another PC. Both PCs runs XP SP3 and are standalone PCs. One is a desktop. The other a laptop.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 846 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps form the KB article and check if it helps.

Windows Update or Microsoft Update repeatedly offers the same update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

John Rubdy
Forum Moderator | Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.