I cannot update Windows XP (KB2656369) - The website encountered a problem

I cannot update Windows XP.  I have scanned various suggestions, and tried several proposed solutions, to no avail.  For example, I have used various Microsoft "FixIt" "solutions".  They don't fix anything, though at one point, the computer ran at 50% CPU through the night, until I did a hard boot in the morning.   I have used msconfig to not use "start-ups" and only load Microsoft Services.  I have gone to %windir% and renamed the folder "SoftwareDistribution" into sth else.  It all gets me a bit further, but I don't get a resolution.  Here is what happens.  I go to the "Windows Update" website.  I now mostly got around the problem "The website encountered a problem..." and get to the place where it says "Custom install" or " Express install".  If do "Express Install", it starts downloading the first file, but then gets stuck at the last 0.10 MB and just hangs there: I left it running a whole night, several times, didn't go anywhere.  So I tried "Custom Install", trying just a single one of the items listed there.  I tried the first, it was 0.5 MB or so, downloaded alright, but failed to install.  The website then recommends to click on "Update History", but that's empty.  I tried the whole procedure again for other items on the list.  For example, right now, I am trying the "Security Update for Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2656369) (update 1 of 1)".  I got it downloaded, it said installing, it stalled in the middle for about five minutes, now the green bar is full, but nothing is happening (it seems to have trouble finishing).  I will let it sit over night again, see whether it will get itself tidied up, but I doubt it.  I should mention that I have a "svchost.exe" process sitting at 1,507500 MB (that's 1.5 GB) "Mem Usage".  It's not a virus (I checked with Malwarebytes, as well as the MS checker, as well as various suggestions on the website --- this is Microsoft doing it).  Sometimes, that process eats 50% of CPU or more.  Auto-update seems to have sth to do with it: in any case, auto-update does not do what it is promising.

Ok, what am I doing wrong?  And what I fail to understand: why can't I download the updates manually and install them manually?  That would be a step forward ...  But most importantly: how can I solve this conundrum? 

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 5,476 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Your previous replies do come across as sarcasm intended or not. Regardless, we're not in a peeing contest here. We're here to resolve your issue.

Thanks for answering the question about your firewall and McAfee.

With all due respect to the suggestions from Daavee, I would disagree with the use of several of the rootkit scanners listed for the following reasons.

Gmer is an excellent tool but, Avast includes the technologies of Gmer since Avast now owns Gmer. The advantages of using aswMBR from Avast is that many of the newest variants of the Alureon rootkit infect the Master Boot Record. When removed the rootkit corrupts the MBR causing Windows not to boot. aswMBR detects the boot record malware informing the user of the same allowing the user to use the FixMBR tool built into aswMBR effectively repairing the corrupted boot record prior to rebooting Windows preventing an unbootable computer. This is where many of the other rookit scanners fall short. In addition, while containing the definitions of a dedicated rookit scanner, aswMBR also loads the latest definitions of the Avast antivirus allowing for the detection of other forms of malware as well. For the longest time TDSS Killer was the only known scanner for the Alureon rootkit, However, aswMBR has since surpassed TDSS Killer, as well as, most other rootkit scanners since none of the others provide the ability to fix the MBR.

Since you have been able to run scans with MRT, MBAM and whatever other scanners you have used there should not be a need for RKill. But, you can run it if you want. Certainly isn't going to make matters worse.

Should you choose to run FixTDSS please ignore the instructions to turn system restore off prior to running the scanner. I have no idea why Symantec would post such ridiculous instructions. Never turn system restore off until you are certain there is no malware remaining. The reasoning behind this is that malware often causes an unbootable computer when removed. It is better to be able to return to an infected computer using system restore than to not be able to boot at all. Once you are certain there is no malware on the computer you can then turn system restore off then on again to purge the restore points. This is only an issue with Win Xp and earlier versions of Windows. Vista and 7's system volume files cannot be infected during the volume shadow copying process.

I would recommend you follow the instructions HERE. Please follow them carefully. Rootkits are no joke. Note that when you run aswMBR you will be given the option to download the Avast viral data base. Choose Yes to the option. Be advised the scan may take several hours depending on the size of your hard drive and other factors. If you are not sure what to do if something is detected STOP and ask here. If that becomes the case a screenshot is always helpful in those situations if at all possible.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Thanks. I try.

aswMBR really is a great tool!

Symantec has always included instructions to turn system restore off prior to scanning. Makes no sense to me.
Microsoft Partner Network Member

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.