Question

I am unable to install updates. I keep getting an error code “0x802440A”. How do I fix this?

Mamakupe asked on

I have windows XP service pack 3, after virus removal and system restore I can not update, get error 0x802440A

Original Title- windows update

1 person had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Nirmal S replied on

Hi Mamakupe,

1)     Do you get any error message?

2)     What are you trying to update? Is it your antivirus software?

3)     What are the updates that you are trying to install?

4)     Have you made any changes on the computer?

I would like more information regarding this issue.

Method 1-

You need to run the fixit from the article-

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

Method 2-

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/  

You need to perform the steps from the articles-

Troubleshoot common installation issues in Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services

You cannot install some updates or programs

Note: Make sure you get the computer back to Normal Startup by referring to the steps mentioned under “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state” from the article.

Make sure you back up the data on the computer before performing Inplace upgrade to prevent data loss.

Hope this helps!!

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress