How do I remove the KB963707 update to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1?

I have been trying to remove .NET from my Windows XP Pro SP3 system.  I used “Add or Remove Programs” to remove the .NET versions in reverse order (4 first, then 3.5, and so on).  That appeared to be successful until I switched on “Show updates” in “Add or Remove Programs”.  I then discovered that “Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)” still remained as a sub-item of “Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1”.

When I tried to remove the update by clicking “Remove”, I was informed that “This action is only valid for products that are currently installed”.  This makes sense in a way because .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 has been uninstalled.  However, it does beg the question as to why the update was not uninstalled at the same time.  

I looked at the article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963707 and tried to follow the instructions to remove the .NET Framework Assistant for Firefox but neither the specified registry entry nor the specified directory is present on my system.  (And Firefox has never been installed on my system.)

I used the .NET Cleanup Tool (cleanup_tool.exe) to cleanup all .NET versions, both with and without MSE real-time protection running, but the update stubbornly remains listed in “Add or Remove Programs”.

Finally, I have manually deleted the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET directory containing the remnants of the .NET files.

If I search for the string “KB963707” in the registry, I find various references to KB963707, but I feel diffident about indiscriminately deleting all registry entries containing this string.

Does anyone have any further ideas on how to remove this update?  Alternatively, if it seems highly likely that the update has already been removed, perhaps someone might know which registry entries I can safely delete in order to remove the listing of the update in “Add or Remove Programs”?
Answer
Answer

One way to get rid of it is to reinstall .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and then install KB963707.

Next uninstall KB963707 and then .Net 3.5 SP1.

Run the cleanup tool and again delete the .Net directory.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 2,975 Applies to: