how can I get windows update? Error )x8024400A

I did a restore after my xp pro windows crashed now I can not get windows to update! .how can I get windows update? I keep getting a error The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.Error )x8024400A

Please Help me!

Answer
Answer

I could not get any updates, could not  even Dowload my favorite Antivirus.  Only few site I could even get to. It seemed to get worse untill:

I fould a place that  Gave, me these instrutions:

1. Reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
    • regsvr32.exe atl.dll
    • regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
    • regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
    • regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
    • regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
    • regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
    • regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
    • regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
    • regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
    • regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
    • regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
    • regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
    • regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
    • regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
    • regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
    • regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
    • regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
    • regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
    • regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
    • regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
    • regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
    • regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
    • regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wups.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
    • regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
    • regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
    • regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
    • regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
  2. Reset Winsock. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    netsh reset winsock
  3. If you are running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you have to set the proxy settings. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    proxycfg.exe -d
  4. Restart the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.
    • net start bits
    • net start wuauserv
  5. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, clear the BITS queue. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
    bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers
  6. Install the latest Windows Update Agent. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    949104 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104/ ) How to obtain the latest version of the Windows Update Agent to help manage updates on a computer
  7. Restart the computer.

After doing these , well most of them worked. when I clicked okay,but some didn't. It all worked!   I was able to update.  I was about to throw my computer away!

I am sure the tip you give here would have worked faster.  I just could not get here. Something was causing internet Exployer to not let me here. 

I had to work on it to. Now everything seems to work okay. I kind of hold my breatgh yet and wory that error could haoppen again.

Thanks a million for your help. It is great to have a place like this with pro's like you here.  So appreciated by a non pro like myself.  Great place to learn more things about computers.

txcatwoman

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I did a restore after my xp pro windows crashed now I can not get windows to update! .how can I get windows update? I keep getting a error The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.Error )x8024400A

Please Help me!

txCatwoman,

Your question [how can I get windows update? Error )x8024400A] (<-- that is a link you may click on to get back to your original question) has been marked as answered, only you did not mark it as such [Debbie_H did (after someone else, rafael :D, marked it as answered and then unmarked it.)]

I feel obligated to ask if and how you solved your issue?

The marked answer *may not* have been the one you utilized and for the benefit of those who might ask the same question in the future it is better the original poster mark their own answers, in my opinion.

If you feel your question was marked as answered by mistake (the answer does not fit your need/fix your issue) then please, unmark it ASAP. I am including instructions on how:

You can go to the response and click Unmark it.

If you are able, please return to your original question and let everyone know how you have resolved your issue, if you have, and mark the replies appropriately. This will help close the question out properly and/or help us help you further if you still require assistance.

Thanks!

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2018 Views 5,982 Applies to: