Cannot update to SP3 after a clean installation of XP. Gets error while accessing Windows Update page : "the website has encountered a problem and cannot display page you are trying view"

Original Title : SP3 install 

I have done a clean install of xp with sp2,have automatic updates set.  After 3 days sp3 has not downloaded, computer on at update time. Cannot load from update site as constantly get message "the website has encountered a problem and cannot display page you are trying view".  I have tried options suggested they also get same message or do not load.

Answer
Answer
 I have done a clean install of xp with sp2,have automatic updates set.  After 3 days sp3 has not downloaded, computer on at update time. Cannot load from update site as constantly get message "the website has encountered a problem and cannot display page you are trying view".  I have tried options suggested they also get same message or do not load.

Just install Windows XP SP3 manually...

Before you do - make sure you have reverted all the way back to Internet Explorer 6 *and* all your hardware device drivers are the latest version available from each of the hardware manufacturer's web pages (Microsoft did not make your hardware - so be sure you checked manually for the latest driver by visiting the manufacturer(s) web page(s) yourself and finding the latest driver for whatever model device(s) you have - motherboard chipset, video, audio, network, etc.)

Get SP3 (manually) and save it to your desktop. (There's a link there.) [You are an IT Professional for now.]

Install it.

Reboot afterwards at least a couple of times with a few minutes between each reboot.

Download at least Internet Explorer 7 (if not Internet Explorer 8.)

Install it.

Reboot.

Now try to get updates through the normal web page (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) and see how many more you can get (100+) and keep checking until you don't have anymore.

Come back - let everyone know if that worked for you.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 22, 2018 Views 23,557 Applies to: