Yahoo Messenger is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation.

Oh so this is my problem, i cant download Yahoo messenger. It keeps telling me this error: Yahoo Messenger is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation. I have turned off firewall, allowed the program and everything i could do and i keep getting the same error message. Someone please help me figure out what to do so i can download it. I even removed the program and tried reinstalling it and that didnt work cuz i got this error message. HELP please!!!

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2019 Views 24,584 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Uninstall the Yahoo messenger completely.

First uninstall from add\remove programs and follow the steps below:

Go to the Start menu, click Run. Type regedit.exe and then click Ok to open the Registry Editor. In the editor window, go to the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\, delete Yahoo, and then exit the Registry Editor.

Add the *.yahoo.com in the trusted site and try to install it again.

Computers have lots of memory but no imagination. The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.

Vistashen

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the same problem with the Windows 7. The program will download, so their's not program needed to delete in the add/remove list. The error message occurs when I double click on the exe. file to open it. It apparently needs to access the internet to continue with installation. I tried what you mentioned Ramayon, but it is still happening.

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually this very same thing is happening to many programs, not just the yahoo messenger.

Sorry this didn't help.

Uninstall the Yahoo messenger completely.

First uninstall from add\remove programs and follow the steps below:

Go to the Start menu, click Run. Type regedit.exe and then click Ok to open the Registry Editor. In the editor window, go to the registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\, delete Yahoo, and then exit the Registry Editor.

Add the *.yahoo.com in the trusted site and try to install it again.

Computers have lots of memory but no imagination. The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.

It worked with me by following your steps as advised. It did work on Windows 7 Enterprise before and suddenly it will not install let alone download? Used Chrome to download the file and Googled the issue and redirected me to the Microsoft Community website Thank you for the technical help/assistance. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed those steps but no change, still getting the message:

""Yahoo! Messenger is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation"

Anyone else still having this mysterious issue?

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Having same issue... uninstalled and now the Yahoo Messenger install file gives that same error and will not install... and after Again says check Firewall settings, etc...  its built in diagnostics tool says everything passes but the login.... its almost like the https or port 443 is not working with this program.

No response from Yahoo on this...

I work in IT and have consulted with others on this, we have all done research and can't find any solution to this... would like to collaborate with others if possible, get a fresh view of this.

If anyone gets something on this let me know.

Sorry this didn't help.

This solution does not work apparently, I have seen several say so now...

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Pavenet and friends, I tried again today and Yahoo installed normally. I'm not sure what changed; the installer looks to be the same version as I had DLed several times before. Last night I deleted _all_ cookies and stored passwords--not just the obvious Yahoo ones--so perhaps something evil lurked there? In any case, give it another shot and let us know if you succeed too. Best of luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ugh--belay that optimism. I was having the same problem on my laptop, tried the same things, even used the exact same DLed installer but still no luck on that machine. It is a minimal machine with only a browser, Word & Excel so not a lot of strange files to interfere; I remain befuddled. Seems to be working normally on my main machine, though.

Sorry this didn't help.

I followed those steps but no change, still getting the message:

""Yahoo! Messenger is unable to download files needed for installation. Please check firewall settings and retry installation"

Anyone else still having this mysterious issue?

My messenger has been working fine for ages, I was even logged in(I always am)and then out of nowhere yesterday, it shut down and i cant get past the sign in screen! Sometimes it hangs like its about to kick over and let me in, then crushes my excitement as I get booted back out again :(

Ive downloaded the update, but it wont let me install it either, ive shut off EVERYTHING, and still tells me i havent??

The only updates done in the last 24hrs have been an adobe flash auto update, so i have zero idea wth is going on.

Sorry this didn't help.