Question

Q: Word - runtime error microsoft visual c + + runtime library Program: C :\Program files\ microsoft office\office10\ winword.exe Abnormal Program termination

When I attempt to open word it opens and states the following

Runtime error microsoft visual c + + runtime library 
Program: C :\Program files\ microsoft office\office10\ winword.exe       
Abnormal Program termination

It asks if I want to open word in safe mode

If I click no it closes

If I click yes it opens in safe mode

In safe mode I went to the help menu - detect and repair - no soultion  ??

What is going on I ran security checks and updated my system it still does not want to allow me to use this program???/

hy Q-J,

what is your operating system?

did you change anything on your system?

have you tried to reinstall the visual c++ libraries?

run word at safe mode - went to the word-options - navigate to "trust-center" and deactivate all "Add-Ins"

kind regards,

Marco
Als Mitglied der Community stellt Microsoft Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe ohne Gewähr zur Verfügung

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem, but its with word 2000 sr-1 professional. i scanned my hard disks for viruses and after scanning a box came up saying Microsoft had a problem and crashed. reinstalling the program might fix this. i don't have a CD for it, how do i get my office back?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

I have what seems to be the same problem. I tried deactivating all the Add-ins but that didn't help. Safe mode doesn't seem to effect the problem and deleting the entire Office10 suite and reinstalling it didn't help either.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also having this error message in a PC with fully licensed Operating System of XP Pro and Office Suite of 2003 with Word 2003. Other than having updates, antivirus scans by my Symantec application, no significant changes to the system have been initiated.

I have NOT attempted to reinstall C++ libraries as I do not know where or how this might be done. Executing the Safe Mode appears to make no difference in the error message as it returns again and again.

Marco, would you clarify for me... are we supposed to start the PC in the Safe Mode (with networking) and navigate in Word 2003's "Options" where we deactivate any and all add-ins?

Are there some add-ins that are the cause or is it all add-ins that carry some source of corruption to the C++ libraries?

Please advise

Sorry this didn't help.

hello stephen,

thanks for your reply!

Please have a look at the following knowledgebase articles. 
cheers,
Marco
Als Mitglied der Community stellt Microsoft Hilfe zur Selbsthilfe ohne Gewähr zur Verfügung

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Marco!

In addition to the excellent tips and forum fixit notes from Marco, I found this in the Microsoft database which seems to be a targeted fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555220

We are testing this series of steps now. Cheers to you, Marco!

Sorry this didn't help.

hi stephen, 

did the last aticle solve your problem?

cheers,
Marco

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 3,683 Last updated: June 1, 2018 Applies to: