Windows Live Messenger crashes on application startup. Sympoms occur after power outage.

Hi, about an hour ago a storm far away knocked out power in my area. My computer obviously shut down as a result. Windows Live Messenger was one of several programs running on my computer when the shut down occured.

After booting up my computer again when power was restored, everything worked fine except Windows Live Messenger which now refuses to open. It gives a "Windows Live Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close." issue... no other real information is provided.

I am running Windows XP SP3 fully updated, with fully updated drivers. I attempted to "Repair" Windows Live Essentials... and I even attempted to reinstall Windows Live Messenger via the installer downloaded from the net. Neither option worked.

The Error signature is as follows:

AppName: msnmsgr.exe      AppVer: 14.0.8117.416     AppStamp:4bc935af
ModName: wldcore.dll      ModVer: 14.0.8117.416      ModStamp:4bc93503
fDebug: 0       Offset: 00002ee5

If any other information is needed, just ask. I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks.

Eric.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 18,304 Applies to:
Answer

Hello there, after a ton of research I came acros this solution.  THought I would share.  Hopefully this does the trick for you.

Locate:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings

Click on all folders (numbered) and locate a Reg file named “UTL

It should be a REG_SZ Type.

On the Data, it should be the one containing your email address next to "<msnobj Creator=".

Delete the saidUTL reg key.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.