What is, "Quick Projects"?? Keeps trying to install on startup....

Trying to figure out "what is", and why "Quick Projects" and "Photo Album" keeps trying to install on my computer at startup. 
Asks for disk/destination file.  I have neither.

Have looked in Add/Remove Programs, there is no Quick Projects or Photo Album listed.

Looked in msconfig for startup programs, it's not listed there either.

Online search for this problem was inconclusive.
The one post I found online indicated this may be some type of potential Trojan or Spyware, possibly attached to another "startup" program, and suggested to contact Microsoft.

Any way to confirm this as Trojan or Spyware??  Potential Registry Error??

Has anyone ever hear of these 2 programs, or had the same problem??
Does anyone know if either of these programs belong to another main program, i.e.... QuickTime, Adobe, etc???

Doesn't seem to affect computer performance or usage.  Just a pain in the a$$, as I have to cancel the "windows installer" about 10 times for it to finally go away.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
PSDdoc

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 1,443 Applies to:
I would suspect those are part of the software for a digital camera or printer\scanner.  Just a guess, actually.  There is a software program "Quick Projects" for task scheduling.  Have you maybe downloaded a trial offer?

Have you run your anti-virus and anti-malware programs just in case you have a nasty bug on your computer? 

If you aren't already using it, I highly recommend Malwarebytes.  You can download the free version, install and do an update, then run a full scan of your computer.

Rosie
Please post back to this thread with results or if you need more assistance. Dell OptiPlex GX260, 2.40 GHZ, Pentium 4, 80G HD, WindowsXP Pro (SP3), IE8, AVG, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster 4.2, OnlineArmor 4.0, MalwareBytes'
Windows XP Pro SP3, MSE, IE8, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Cable

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Rosie
There is a Web Cam, and HP Printer/Scanner attached to that computer, as it is my office computer (actually a notebook).
I recently replaced the motherboard, but all the software and driver apps remained in place on the HD.
Just recently began having this problem, so don't think it is related to the cam or printer.

On another note however, I recently downloaded a (third party(??) Windows Aero Program and Windows Sidebar program, that were "supposedly" compatible with XP.
The Aero program didn't really give me what I wanted so I uninstalled it, but I did notice it applied it to DOS/BIOS when it was installed.  It removed it the same way, thru DOS/BIOS.

Sidebar seems to function normally, as though it were on Vista, so I have kept it.

It was around the time I uninstalled Aero that this problem began.  Possible coincedence??
I would have to search online again to find the original program I downloaded in order to tell you who the publisher was.

I don't believe I downloaded any "task scheduling" trial offers, unless it came with one of the 2 programs I mention above.  Not even sure what "task scheduling" is, to tell the truth.  Although common sense tells me what it must do by name.

I have downloaded the Malwarebytes program you mentioned, and am running a FULL scan as I write this.
Will report back with findings, when scan is complete.

All other Virus Scans (AVG, Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, and NetSpy) came up negative for infection.

Something else I found interesting.... When I began the Windows Installer for Malwarebytes, it tried to run an install for "Quick Projects" as well.   ARGHH?!?!?!?!
Like I said, it is just frustrating, vs. causing any computer performance issues.

Appreciate the assist.
Will report back soon.
PSDdoc

Sorry this didn't help.

From PSDdoc....
After running the Malwarebytes scan (apparently I didn't run a FULL scan as I thought), only one thing was found.....
Disabled.SecurityCenter
I then checked the "vendor" on Malwarebytes website, but it didn't give much information, only a "first seen date", and a "last seen date".
Could this be the problem??

I don't know what this Disabled.SecurityCenter thing is. 
Is it Malware??
It doesn't appear to be related to anything that says "Quick Projects" or "Photo Album".  I suppose that doesn't really mean anything tho'.

So far I haven't done anything with it (i.e. Quarantine, Remove, etc...).
What should I do with it??

And having found this, should I run a FULL scan??

Sorry for all the questions, I thought for sure the scan would come up negative.
That's what I get for thinking, I guess.  LOL  :)

I'll leave Malwarebytes open (minimized) until I hear back from you or someone else.

PSDdoc

Sorry this didn't help.

You can safely quarantine whatever Malwarebytes recommends.  Leave the items in quarantine for a week or so to be sure they aren't needed.  Check for updates for Malwarebytes again then run a Full Scan. 

I'm hoping one of the more experienced members will jump in here with additional help.  You may have some entries in the Registry pertaining to programs you've uninstalled and they need to be removed. 
I never make recommendations to anyone about making changes to the Registry but someone can guide you. 

Rosie
Please post back to this thread with results or if you need more assistance. Dell OptiPlex GX260, 2.40 GHZ, Pentium 4, 80G HD, WindowsXP Pro (SP3), IE8, AVG, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster 4.2, OnlineArmor 4.0, MalwareBytes'
Windows XP Pro SP3, MSE, IE8, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Cable

Sorry this didn't help.

You can safely quarantine whatever Malwarebytes recommends.  Leave the items in quarantine for a week or so to be sure they aren't needed.    

You may have some entries in the Registry pertaining to programs you've uninstalled and they need to be removed. 
So, came to find out that I was unable to Quarantine this particular threat, as it only gave me the option to "Remove".
I did, and on restart, still have the same issues.

I am inclined to agree that this may very well be Registry entries related to an Uninstalled program.  Most likely that 3rd party Windows Aero program, as this problem seemed to materialize after I uninstalled it.
All other scans/re-scans came up negative for any other threats/infections.

Hopefully someone will come along that can guide me through Registry changes.

Appreciate the efforts.

PSDdoc

ASUS G50VT, Vista HP, Intel Core2 Duo, 64bit, 2.13ghz, 4gb RAM , AVG, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, NetSpy, Malwarebytes

Sorry this didn't help.

PSDdoc, I just noticed in your specs, you are running Vista.  Have you tried posting your problem in the Vista forum?  You might get a quicker response there.

Rosie

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry that was a little misleading.
Those specs. were from the computer I use daily.
I have adjusted the specs. to show for the computer I am having the issues with, which is running XP.

Regards
PSDdoc

Averatec 2300, XP-MCE(2002)(SP3), AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 64bit, 1.61ghz, 2gb RAM , IE8, AVG, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, NetSpy, Malwarebytes

Sorry this didn't help.

Quickprojects is actually a part of your HP scanner/other HP related programs, and its not something to get scared of. Try and download the latest HP software for Scanners and see what happens.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks ChanzzL Will give that a go, and see what happens.
Averatec 2300, XP-MCE(2002)(SP3), AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50, 64bit, 1.61ghz, 2gb RAM , IE8, AVG, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender, NetSpy, Malwarebytes

Sorry this didn't help.