Net 2.0 runtime error Event ID 5000 help please?

I have been trying to install Family Tree Maker 2009 for almost a month now, and although it seems to install without errors, it gives me an error when I try to open it.  I even tried FTM 2008 and got the same Net 2.0 Runtime error for that one too.

Checking the Admin logs, it shows a .NET Runtime 2.0 Error, Event ID 5000 and Event Type clr20r3, P1 ftm.exe, P2 17.0.0.416, P3 46af7947, P4 ftm, P5 17.0.0.416, P6 46af7947, P7 10f, P8 20, P9 system.typeinitialization, P10 NIL.

When I checked in the add/remove programs to see what I had installed, I have:

Net Framework 1.1

Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2.0

Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2.0

Net Framework 3.5 SP1

Net Framework 4 Client Profile

Net Framework 4 Extended

Well, thinking I had FW 2.0 SP 2, but I didn't see 2.0 itself, I tried to install 2.0.  It told me I couldn't do that...that it was incompatible with another version or something like that.

I decided that I would delete the 2.0 SP 2 and then try to install 2.0 first, and then put 2.0 SP2 back in.  Would not let me do that either.  It said that it could not delete the 2.0 SP2 because it will effect other applications that are installed.

I know Net Framework is kinda flaky to begin with as far as in what order you do things, so I could sure use some help to resolve this mess!  

Could you please tell me how to straighten this mess out and get things back in the order they are supposed to be in so that this program will work?  

I'm not an IT, so please be gentle in your explanation. LOL

Answer
Answer

Hi,

It seems to be thatsome of the .Net Framework files are corrupted.

I would suggest you to try repairing Microsoft .Net Framework and if that doesn’t help then, completely uninstall and then manually re-install Microsoft .Net Framework on the computer.

How to repair an existing installation of the.NET Framework

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows Installer error code "1603"

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2023 Views 6,778 Applies to: