Getting messages "mdnsNSP.dll" file is in use and MSI files cannot be found when trying to remove Bonjour and iTunes

Original title: Tracking which programme is using Bonjour DLL called "mdnsNSP.dll"

I have tried removing itunes and all it's components, as it was not running correctly after downloading version 10. Now having removed everything Apple from my XP Home Edition PC, I have the Bonjour folder left with just the file "mdnsNSP.dll" in it. It will not let me delete it, as it says the file is in use. How to I get round this to remove the file ?

Also, in my Windows Installer I have Bonjour & iTunes listed, but no files on the computer aside from the one above can be found on the computer. When I try to remove these prorgammes it says the MSI files cannot be found, how to I fix this ?

Hi Nightingale1,

You may try to run the following command and try to delete the Bonjour file.

Step 1:

a. Click on Start, click on Run and type cmd and press ok.

b. In command prompt, type the following command and press Enter.

regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll

c. Restart the computer and try to delete the file.

Regarding the Msi file issue, you may try to reregister the msi file and check.

Step 2:

a. Click Start, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

b. At the command prompt, type the following, and then press Enter after each line:

MSIExec /unregister

MSIExec /regserver

c. Try to uninstall iTunes and Bonjour and check.

You may also refer the following KB article and check if it helps:

How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Many thanks for your thoughts on this.

Unfortunately neither of the fixes above fixed the issues

For the mdnsNSP.dll issue would it be an idea to find out which programme is using the DLL ? Just wondering if I can stop that programme, then may be I can remove the file, as it is stopping me delete it

Also, I upgraded to installer 4.5 and still have the issues with the Bonjour and iTunes programmes being listed, but being present on my machine. Is there a database which sits behind the installer which can be corrected in some way to remove the installer falsely thinking these programmes are still on the machine ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Nightingale1,

I suggest you try and go to Safe Mode and see if you can delete the files from Safe Mode.

To get to Safe Mode:
a) Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears. (On most computers, it is the F8 key, it may be different on your computer. Check your documentation or contact your computer manufacturer)
b) Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.
c) When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and then press ENTER.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 21, 2019 Views 4,753 Applies to: