fxscfqwz.dll download -- file missing

Does MS offer a download of this file?

After a system crash I reloaded my system, and my HP Officejet 6500 says it needs this file but can't find it:  fxscfgwz.dll
Is there a SAFE place to download this file without getting some malware or other annoying program loaded on my system? 
I can't find it on the computer or the recovery disks, even tho the MS website says it should be on the %path%\i386 folder, and I found about 8 such folders like C:\WINDOWS\DriverCache\i386 folder but couldn't find the file.

There are a thousand sites that offer to let you download it, but the last time I did this I got a program that came on once EVERY DAY to ask me to a registry clean-up program, and I could never get rid of that reminder.  Since I just rebooted my system I don't think I need registry software.  I just want to know a SAFE site that won't screw up my computer.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 453 Applies to:
Answer
It's never a good idea to download dll files from from some unknown online source.

How did you "reload" your system?

This file normally is in C:\Windows\system32 and C:\Windows\system32\dllcache, but because this is part of Windows XP Fax Services, which isn't installed by default.  So, if by "reload," you mean that you did a clean reinstall of Windows, that's why you can't find it.

Do you have a C:\i386 directory?  If so, look for fxscfgwz.dl_

That is the file in compressed form.  You need to use the expand command in a Command Prompt window to extract it, thus:

expand C:\i386\fxscfgwz.dl_ c:\windows\system32\fxscfgwz.dll 

Copy the file to C:\Windows\system32\dllcache

If you don't have C:\i386, you can download it from my SkyDrive (which is safe).  Another file that's often missing when you try to install Fax Services is fxsapi.dll, so I've uploaded that as well.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=18b259158254905b
-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.