Windows XP install crashes when BIOS is set to AHCI

I have Windows 7 running on my computer. It has an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard with the BIOS set to AHCI.

I would now like to install Windows XP for a dual boot set up so that my sons can continue to play some of their old XP games.

When I first tried to install XP, I got the BSOD during the first phase of the installation process.

Researching the internet, I discovered that Windows needs an AHCI controller driver and that I could either use F6 to install the correct driver from a floppy disk during setup or slipstream the driver into a Windows installation CD using a program called nLite. I chose the latter as there is no floppy drive on the computer. I selected the 32 bit XP version of the Intel (R) 7 Series/216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller to slipstream.

I used my newly created installation disk and the initial phase of the installation went fine, But, after the first reboot, just as the Windows XP GUI interface appeared, the system crashed, rebooted and crashed again.

The only way I could get XP to install was to change the BIOS to IDE after which it installed just fine. But Windows 7 will not load unless I change the BIOS back to AHCI so that is what I have done for the time being.

Any suggestions as to how I can either get XP to install in AHCI mode or change it to AHCI mode once it has been installed in IDE mode?

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2019 Views 21,683 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

OK, apologies, it does appear that I didn't fully read your response. I have dealt with BSOD stop 7b on many occasions and was guilty of inaccurate 'fast reading'.

However, I have given you one possibility by way of answer to your final paragraph...

install the AHCI drivers to XP whilst booted in IDE mode, then change the BIOS back to AHCI

...have you tried this? What were the results?

Having thought a bit deeper about this possibility, it might be a good idea to reboot in IDE mode after AHCI driver installation before then shutting down and changing to AHCI mode.

As far as I am aware there are only two possibilities for AHCI driver installation at the time of XP installation. You have ruled out one of them (F6 diskette) and you say that the other does not yield a bootable system. Maybe you could try slipstreaming again in case the process didn't do the job properly. Where did you get the drivers from to do the slipstream? Was it the same place as the link I posted above? Failing slipstreaming or buying a floppy disk drive (not expensive), my only suggestion is the one that I have repeated above.

Finally, can you confirm that it is stop 7b that you are getting? If not what stop are you getting?

Tricky

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.